Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Irish Chain

Blog Entries

Irish Chain

On my bucket list of quilts to make next year, The Irish Chain is at the top of my list. I want to make it in just 2 colors. I have and aqua here at home and tomorrow, will travel to a different JoAnns to see if I can get more yardage of a gray that I have taken a fancy to.

So, my question is this, Do you like Single, Double, or Triple Irish Chain better and why. I am leaning toward a Double Irish Chain. This is my inspiration: https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/pat...h-chain/193231 I just think the Double adds a bit of something over the single. And, I think the triple is just too much of a good thing. What do you think?
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Power Poster
    ​I like single Irish Chain if there is embroidery in the big squares. I prefer double or triple if it is just Irish Chain alone.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I prefer the double Irish chain, personally. An I sometimes make it with a different color in the middle of the chain (triple Irish chain) as I am going to do for my daughter at some point. I like to quilt it with a contrasting thread so that the design in the plain blocks is an added design element, usually using a template like a wreath of leaves, and then chaining through the smaller squares. Sorry I don't have a photo of one of mine to show.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I love the double Irish chain. Single definitely needs something extra in the large open areas- either embroidery, appliqué or special quilting. Triple is a bit much but still very lovely. I really like your inspiration piece.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I like all the Irish Chain patterns but I agree the single is so simple, the double gives it more ???? and depending on how you do the triple, it can be amazing too. Have I think the triple on my shelf to do but my reason is I'm using a bunch of scraps from another quilt all in greens. The background will be a very dark green with a neutral as the 1st strip next to the dark green with all the other greens interplaying in the middle strip. Just my take on it. As you're using only 2 colors the double would look very nice.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    Irish Chain is my “go to” when I need a quilt and I personally love the double best of all. I love how it just comes together. Doesn’t hurt that I am from an Irish family either.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I prefer a triple Irish chain.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I mostly work with scrap quilts and find it hard to limit myself to just two fabrics -- more power to you!

I often use a single Irish chain to hold together collections as I did in my February/Valentine's Day quilt. If I were judging it, I'd say it is too busy but since it did exactly what I wanted (use up a bunch of assorted swapped Valentine fabrics) I'm happy with it. I also made one of my rare "planned" quilts, which is a triple Irish Chain for St Patrick's Day, it's very bold and was designed because I fell in love with the border fabric. Don't have a picture of that top yet and hubby is still asleep so I'll wait a bit before I try to get a picture of it. Hadn't really realized before now that I will have two Irish chains in a row! They are so different.

I've been having some problems posting pictures lately, will have to figure out why some work and others don't...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    I like all the Irish Chain patterns but I agree the single is so simple, the double gives it more ???? and depending on how you do the triple, it can be amazing too. Have I think the triple on my shelf to do but my reason is I'm using a bunch of scraps from another quilt all in greens. The background will be a very dark green with a neutral as the 1st strip next to the dark green with all the other greens interplaying in the middle strip. Just my take on it. As you're using only 2 colors the double would look very nice.
    Your Triple sounds amazing. I can't wait to see it done in Green and scrappy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
    I mostly work with scrap quilts and find it hard to limit myself to just two fabrics -- more power to you!

I often use a single Irish chain to hold together collections as I did in my February/Valentine's Day quilt. If I were judging it, I'd say it is too busy but since it did exactly what I wanted (use up a bunch of assorted swapped Valentine fabrics) I'm happy with it. I also made one of my rare "planned" quilts, which is a triple Irish Chain for St Patrick's Day, it's very bold and was designed because I fell in love with the border fabric. Don't have a picture of that top yet and hubby is still asleep so I'll wait a bit before I try to get a picture of it. Hadn't really realized before now that I will have two Irish chains in a row! They are so different.

I've been having some problems posting pictures lately, will have to figure out why some work and others don't...
    Oh, I hope your able to post photos. I would love to see your quilts. They sound so interesting. Isn't is amazing how one fabric can spark the imagination of one quilt start to finish.

I love Irish Chain quilts done in 2 colors. My favorite is single, followed by double. Not wild about triple. What a lovely pattern!
    I seem to like the old simple patterns but I'm also really getting interested in modern quilts because of all the beauties I've seen here.
    It's all good!

Blog Entries
    I like all the Irish chains, have made several versions. I work mostly with precuts so an Irish chain becomes the obvious choice if I want something quick and simple to put together. I made one for my daughter, not actually considered an Irish Chain, but the final look was Irish Chain, in teals, ivories, and a soft gold. Can't find the pic to post.

If you are using just two colors, single. If you are doing a double or triple I would suggest one or two variations on your aqua for visual interest. Only my opinion. Quilt on. Irish Chain is not nearly as hard as it looks. And they look so stunning!

I just put the first border on the Starred Double Irish Chain that Piecing The Past Stitchers just finished as a block of the week. It was my first Irish Chain and now I can cross that one off my list. Not sure if I'll make another, not for a while anyway. Name:  first border on.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  82.4 KB
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    Wildyard, your Star Irish Chain is amazing. I really like the stars in the middle. I bet this type quilt would make an excellent scrap buster.

My favorite are the double in three colors, there is light gray in the middle of the chain.
    Name:  Whit's quilt.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  131.5 KB

I prefer the Double Irish Chain. Your inspiration quilt is pretty!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    mamagranda, that is an amazing Double Irish Chain. The addition of the gray is subtle and inviting. I like it very much.

If I make another one, I will go totally scrappy as I'm not fond of the "chunks" that stand out because each block is made of different color combinations. If all scrappy I think it would blend better in the design. I also think I'd like to try putting all different 6" blocks in the centers instead of all stars. Lol, I did that once with a churn dash block, all different small blocks in the center and I loved how it came out.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I have a double done in scrappy pinks and yellows with a WOW center almost together. I had to put it aside for Christmas, but will finish it when things settle down. I do prefer the double.

Blog Entries
    I tried a quadruple Irish chain, and I loved it. I made one for my friend also. I wouldn't mind doing a quintuple one, such a possibility of various colors and textures. Here's my first try. I just sent it to be quilted today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    I just put the first border on the Starred Double Irish Chain that Piecing The Past Stitchers just finished as a block of the week. It was my first Irish Chain and now I can cross that one off my list. Not sure if I'll make another, not for a while anyway. Name:  first border on.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  82.4 KB
    I love it. Can you share the link to the pattern?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pmcfarlin View Post
    I tried a quadruple Irish chain, and I loved it. I made one for my friend also. I wouldn't mind doing a quintuple one, such a possibility of various colors and textures. Here's my first try. I just sent it to be quilted today.
    Omg, your are making an excellent case for a triple. Your fabric choices are absolutely perfect. This quilt sings. Thanks for sharing your lovely. I love it!!!

I like the triple, especially if the fabrics are light/medium/dark of the same color.

Ok, if the pictures work, here's my St Patricks Day Triple Irish Chain top. I'm making a series of quilts for me, a themed one for each month of the year. The Black border print is what sold me on this idea for my March quilt. You can't see it well but both the white and the black "solids" have tone on tone shamrocks. The bottom picture shows the backing fabric and the binding (made from the green dots). I have an all over shamrock panto for the bed of the quilt and/or a smaller design for the border.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast