Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing Table Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-table-fabric-t306812.html)

cindi 09-10-2019 02:15 PM

I used batting and cotton duck, and no heat resistant barrier. I don’t like the barrier. It warped my last top.

Wood Sprite 09-10-2019 05:44 PM

Wendi Gratz has a video on how to make an ironing board cover with a drawstring. Maybe you could make a drawstring on your decorative cover? I know this is a different shape than you are making but maybe it will give you some ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV7ocoiil2o

quiltedsunshine 09-10-2019 06:49 PM

I've put a layer of Insul-bright between 2 100% cotton batting pieces, in mine. I've had light cotton fabric on top, but it wears out. So I put a heavy, duck fabric on my current ironing board, and I love it! It has lasted a long time.

Murphy224 09-11-2019 12:18 AM

I too use duck fabric as the top of my "big board" ironing surface. I also prefer a plain or solid neutral color as opposed to a busy multicolored print. A busy print combined with the print of the fabric being ironed just drove me crazy. Too much "busyiness" and multi-color combinations made it hard for me to see to fold and press or to see if the strips or squares were straight. That may be just me but something to think about.
I can't speak to the moisture and heat effects on a base of plywood as I don't use steam in my iron, I just spritz and press/iron. Have had my big board that sits on my regular ironing board for about 10 years and no problems at all with the plywood it is made from.

constantine63 09-11-2019 03:04 AM

To 'steamproof' my ironing table I covered the plywood with aluminum foil before adding the batting and final cover. Water won't penetrate though the foil and it is easy to wrap around the plywood edges. Overlap generously if the width of your table is greater than the width of your foil.

pahega 09-11-2019 03:31 AM

I made an ironing station two years ago. I taped heavy duty aluminum foil over the plywood surface making sure there were no areas where moisture could get in, and then layered cotton batting and then the silver ironing fabric that I got at Joann's over that. I, too, was worried about moisture getting to the wood. I haven't had any issues with warping and I used a lot of steam at times.

grann of 6 09-11-2019 04:22 AM

Make sure you use exterior grade plywood, or you will have warping. I have a 60X80 ironing table that I had made for when I did home dec sewing for people. I have a wool blanket, then cotton batting and the silver teflon coated for my ironing surface. I have had no problems with warping and I love the teflon surface.

Dina 09-11-2019 07:01 AM

Okay, if you are really lazy, like I am, you could just use safety pins to fit the top fabric on the ironing board, as that is what I did. I also didn't want to mess with elastic, neither sewing it directly on or making a facing to slip it into. The safety pins work fine, and it is extremely easy to change fabric when I want to.

My ironing board top is 20 inches by 60. It is wood, cotton batting, and regular cotton fabric. The fabric I currently have on it is a purple flower print. I have used this board 8 years with no warping or any problems. I like having my ironing board top match the other purple things here in my sewing room. :)

Dina

klswift 09-11-2019 07:38 AM

You can use almost any fabric that can take a very hot iron, but you Must use something under it (like the heat resistant ironing board fabric). This will protect the wood, particle board or even the metal underneath.

LisaInOhio 09-11-2019 08:09 AM

I really appreciate all the helpful comments and ideas! I am definitely using the ironing board fabric from JoAnns and cotton batting. Have to decide about the aluminum foil - is it still needed with that fabric? I would have to tape it to reach my width and would the tape create an issue with the heat or moisture? I will wait and see how I like the look of that fabric before deciding whether to add another layer over it . The fabric is called silver but looks dark gray online (I pick up tomorrow to see in person) so the colors might work as is. Zozee, I think my color palette will be very close to yours! I am sharing the space with my grandkids sleeping space (for visits only) and I made a crib quilt for my grandson in light aqua, yellows, grays and some black and white accents, lol. The walls are a light blue/aqua as well. I also love the idea of stripes for a straight ironing line but I'm afraid pulling it to staple would make the lines wavy and it would drive me nuts. I might do as I saw someone comment online and just draw a long straight line on whatever fabric I have, to use to true up my fabric and blocks. Oh, the possibilities! I just wish I didn't work full time so I could get this made ! :-)