Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing Table Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-table-fabric-t306812.html)

themadpatter 09-11-2019 10:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just made a removable wool cover for my ironing board yesterday! I copied the velcro attachments on my store bought cover and then did some custom ones on the ends.
Fancy end
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617285[/ATTACH]

End when I was getting tired of it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617286[/ATTACH]

Snooze2978 09-11-2019 11:56 AM

My 1st trial for fabric on my big board was a striped ducking fabric but it got stained real quickly when using starch, etc. The 2nd trial I used the silver heat resistent fabric and so far its worked great. Can just wipe off any starch overspray and no stains.

1screech 09-11-2019 06:49 PM

I covered my wood with one of those big black trash bags to avoid moisture in the wood. Then I put one layer of warm and natural batting. Then I added 100% cotton canvas and stapled each layer on the back. then I sprayed the canvas with water from a water bottle several times and the canvas shrunk and pulled really tight. My squares do not stretch when ironing. I had a cotton cover at one time, but it got ugly real quick. I love the canvas.

d.rickman 09-11-2019 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine (Post 8300231)
I've put a layer of Insul-bright between 2 100% cotton batting pieces, in mine. I've had light cotton fabric on top, but it wears out. So I put a heavy, duck fabric on my current ironing board, and I love it! It has lasted a long time.

The above noted is how I did mine as well, however I purchased a wool mat to cover the top of my ironing board, and made a couple of large "pillow slips" from a king size sheet - so I could slip the wool mat inside, and when it became discolored from my ironing, then I could exchange it with the second one. I purchased my wool mat from a carpet store, 3/8" thick - 24" x 60" to fit my ironing board, and laid it on top - what a difference it made in my pressing and ironing, and less than the cost at our local quilt shops.

pahega 09-12-2019 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by LisaInOhio (Post 8300388)
I really appreciate all the helpful comments and ideas! I am definitely using the ironing board fabric from JoAnns and cotton batting. Have to decide about the aluminum foil - is it still needed with that fabric? I would have to tape it to reach my width and would the tape create an issue with the heat or moisture? I will wait and see how I like the look of that fabric before deciding whether to add another layer over it . The fabric is called silver but looks dark gray online (I pick up tomorrow to see in person) so the colors might work as is. Zozee, I think my color palette will be very close to yours! I am sharing the space with my grandkids sleeping space (for visits only) and I made a crib quilt for my grandson in light aqua, yellows, grays and some black and white accents, lol. The walls are a light blue/aqua as well. I also love the idea of stripes for a straight ironing line but I'm afraid pulling it to staple would make the lines wavy and it would drive me nuts. I might do as I saw someone comment online and just draw a long straight line on whatever fabric I have, to use to true up my fabric and blocks. Oh, the possibilities! I just wish I didn't work full time so I could get this made ! :-)

I had to tape my aluminum foil to get the width of the ironing surface, too. I felt it was needed to block any moisture towards the wood. I haven't had any issues with the tape. It is between the aluminum foil and the batting.

Rhonda K 09-12-2019 03:55 AM

I use a piece of plywood cut 24x24. Cover with a layer of insulbrite that is cut about 23.5x 23.5 to avoid bulk on edges. Cut the silver iron fabric at 32 x 32. I hot glued cabinet cushion to plywood back. Then wrap the the silver fabric. I used straight pins to hold.

For a straight edge, I use a 48 inch metal carpenter ruler. No need to draw lines.

ktbb 09-12-2019 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8300042)
You need a heat/moisture barrier of some kind added, like the silver heat resistant fabric, or the plywood will warp. Seen it happen to many a nice wood ironing surface. I like duck canvas to cover whatever padding I use. I make a muslin easy off top covering over that so it's easy to replace or wash. I now use a portable wool pressing pad on top.

agree that you need a water-resistant layer. I cover mine base thoroughly with aluminum foil - inexpensive and works fine.

Aurora 09-12-2019 05:05 AM

I use a layer of insul-brite, a layer of cotton batting w/o scrim, sandwiched between two layers of heavy-weight muslin to make an ironing mat that. It works great and is portable.

The Quilted Cottage 09-12-2019 03:00 PM

If you don't want extra thickness, use a clear spray sealer on the plywood before covering with your fabric choice. I generally use the clear sealer from Krylon but there are other brands that work well.

Quiltah Mama 09-12-2019 03:37 PM

Matt, from Jordan fabrics has a great tutorial on how to do an ironing tablecover. I used Kaffe Facet fabric, followed the directions in Matt's tutorial and haven't any problems. I did use 3/4 inch "blonde" or also called cabinet grade plywood.