Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Island Batik (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/island-batik-t192884.html)

calla 06-27-2012 11:07 AM

How frustrating, and you offered good information. I trade with a shop in Fenton MI, and her name is Carolyn too........the same? calla

momto5 06-27-2012 05:01 PM

I have tried pre-cuts and strips both at least once...and once, was enough! I haven't done that again in about 2-3 years, nor will I ever. I don't even buy fat quarters anymore because of this very same problem. If there's an error in cutting, I prefer it to be mine...and yep! I DO make some!

chuckbere15 06-27-2012 08:13 PM

Island Batiks did call me back today offering to exchange them. I was at a guild meeting and asked her to call me tomorrow. I guess the email to customer service worked. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, I'm going to call Carolyn in Fenton to see if these measurements will work with her pattern. I do really love the fabric designs and colors. I guess I'm going to sleep on it, sometimes that's the best way to approach a resolution.

Maybe, I'll ask for the lost yardage and save the hassle of returning?

Farm Quilter 06-27-2012 09:44 PM

Love to know how this is resolved! We count on FQs being 18x22 - all the patterns expect them to be. Guess I'll be buying 1/2 yards and making my own FQs.

Debbie C 06-28-2012 04:32 AM

I have been burned so many times in the past that I have just stopped buying pre-cuts from stores completely unless there is a MAJOR reduction in pricing. I now purchase most of my fabrics from yard/garage/estate sales anyway and cut them myself. My financial output has greatly reduced by doing so and I so enjoy the 'thrill of the hunt'. You would not believe how my personal fabric stash has grown in the past year!!

nanacarolyn 06-28-2012 04:45 AM

Amen I got some fabric this week when I got the fabric home it was crooked as a dogs hind leg..I needed it right away for binding I lost a lot of yardage trying to get it right......won't buy there any more

bglock1 06-28-2012 04:46 AM

I've had a similar experience, but with charms. I expected all of them to be 5" square, but when working with the pack (after sewing several together for D9P) that they were actually 5" x 4 3/4". Not that big of a difference but it would be nice to actually have what you pay for!

Scraps 06-28-2012 05:59 AM

hmmm never check anything til I am ready to use it. I tried to return fat quarters to Joanne's one time and the manager would only accept half of the squares for a "return". In small print on their fat quarter labels with the measurements it says "approximate". !! Their fat quarters are wonky for sure. I never buy the pinked pre cuts - seems more difficult to sew for me. Good luck - thanks for sharing!

catmcclure 06-28-2012 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by bglock1 (Post 5322737)
I've had a similar experience, but with charms. I expected all of them to be 5" square, but when working with the pack (after sewing several together for D9P) that they were actually 5" x 4 3/4". Not that big of a difference but it would be nice to actually have what you pay for!

I have a lot of pre-cuts on hand. However, I always figure on 9" square from layer cakes, 4-1/2" square for charms, and the strips can usually be counted on to be at least 2-1/4". I plan any blocks from fat quarters so I have a usable area of 17 x 20.

sahm4605 06-28-2012 06:16 AM

i try to not buy fq's in packs unless i know who was doing the cutting. i have had to get some and found even before starching or anything, just unfolded from the pack that they were off really bad. I don't like to buy precuts for this reason.