Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   JoAnn's has done it again............... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joanns-has-done-again-t200254.html)

kathbug 09-13-2012 03:29 AM

Joann's has always been great at any around my area in Ohio. They are so helpful and patience. By the way I am pretty new to the board and love all the helpful hits on quilting and all the BEAUTIFUL quilts. My favorite time in the morning is reading the new QB.

damaquilts 09-13-2012 04:46 AM

I think like everything else it depends on the store .. My store in GA was not helpful and sometimes could be down right rude. But the one I go to here in VA is helpful and yes they gave me the remnant price without me asking.A friend of mine lives in TX and she told me about the end of bolt and when I asked at mine in GA they said "we can't do that . If its on the bolt it goes for regular price."

AlienQuilter 09-13-2012 05:11 AM

I was at Joann's last night. Grabbed the coupon for Hobby Lobby instead of Joann's. I get to the checkout and asked the young lady if they accept competitor's coupons and she laughed and said yes. It was a 40 percent off coupon! That was nice.

Needless to say, they are getting my business.

May in Jersey 09-13-2012 05:21 AM

I often tell the cutter to give me what's on the bolt but never been offered or received the end of the bolt discount at the Joann's I go to but I'm going to ask for it next time. Never any mention about discount to guild members either. I have received 50% off of remants so I always browse them. Need some new rulers so that's what my next coupons will be used for. I find that after a few years use the bottom edge where I begin cutting wears away a bit and the cut if off in the corners.

Gal you made out great with the end of bolts whites, creams and ecru fabrics at your Joann's. That's the fabrics I always try to stock up on when I can get them at good prices as that's the colors I like to use as background in many of my quilts..

Edie 09-13-2012 05:22 AM

If there is 1-1/2 yards on the end of the bolt, you can buy 3/4 of a yard and have 3/4 of a yard left over, thereby giving you 3/4 of a yard at half price. Otherwise, you usually buy one yard of fabric and have 1/2 yard left over. This way you have under a yard closest to a yard - you could work 7/8 of a yard also. That, I thought, is what made her a super lady!!!!! Little trick!

It was nice of her to tell me about it. I knew about the less than one yard on the bolt, but I didn't know how nicely it could be manipulated. Edie

joyce888 09-13-2012 05:32 AM

If I'm buying from the end of the bolt I will estimate how much is left (count two folds per yard) and subtract 7/8 yd then that is the amount I ask for, then the sales person offers me the remainder for 50% off. If my coupon is 50% off then I don't bother.

Monroe 09-13-2012 05:35 AM

The "secret end of bolt discount" also works on clearance fabric! The clearance prices aren't such a bargain these days unless you purchase when they are on sale for 1/2 off the clearance price. Then ask for an amount leaving less than 1 yard on the bolt and get the "remnant" for 1/2 off the current 1/2 off price! You may have to ask if they will discount the remainder, as some of the cutters don't know or don't offer it, and are pretty quick with the scissors. A nice woman at the fabric counter clued me into this when I told her I was getting fabrics for some pillowcase and dresses donation sewing. Sometimes I do ask how much is left on the bolt, then say I really only need an amount which leaves about 3/4 yard, and then ask about the discount if they don't offer it.

FLQ 09-13-2012 06:17 AM

I was in Joanne's in Idaho Falls and received some end of bolt discounts and the 20% senior discount. I was happy with the better quality too. I was not able to find many neutrals but I guess others beat me to them.

nygal 09-13-2012 06:25 AM

The only time I get an end of bolts discount at Joanns is when there is less than a half a yard left over from what I want to purchase. I always say yes I'll buy the left over since its a great reduced price.

Friday1961 09-13-2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey (Post 5510925)
I often tell the cutter to give me what's on the bolt but never been offered or received the end of the bolt discount at the Joann's I go to but I'm going to ask for it next time. Never any mention about discount to guild members either. I have received 50% off of remants so I always browse them. Need some new rulers so that's what my next coupons will be used for. I find that after a few years use the bottom edge where I begin cutting wears away a bit and the cut if off in the corners.

Gal you made out great with the end of bolts whites, creams and ecru fabrics at your Joann's. That's the fabrics I always try to stock up on when I can get them at good prices as that's the colors I like to use as background in many of my quilts..

In my experience, both at JoAnn's and at Wal-Mart, it depends on the cutter's knowledge of how fabric should be sold. Experienced cutters or people who sew and buy fabric themselves always offer the end of bolt discount. Others are more literal and charge you full price for whatever is left on the bolt.

I wish our JoAnn's was as good as the one the first poster described. If you're lucky enough to get the manager at our store, she'll readily offer discounts; if you get one of the young men who work there or a new employee it's a different story. We have 3 places to buy fabric: JoAnn's (not what it used to be), Wal-Mart (if you can find someone to cut fabric!) and Hobby Lobby (always tidy and has permanent discounts but employees can be rude). I'm showing my age now, but I miss shopping for fabric at Penney's and Sears and I miss our Hancock's, long gone. Quilt shops here don't last long; there are none here now that I know of.