Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   JoAnn's has done it again............... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joanns-has-done-again-t200254.html)

Edie 09-14-2012 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5511969)
That is how my Jo'anns is ... they used to offer a end of bolt .. but not for years. If its anything more that what you asked for they cut it off. .. throw it a pile .. some make it to remmnants. They used to offer a discount if there wa a flaw in the fabric as well... not any more they cut that portion up into little pieces and toss into the trash.

That is why this JoAnn's is so super. She didn't have to tell me all that. I knew about the end of the bolt, but I didn't know about divvying it up so that I ended up with more fabric, less to pay and they emptied out some of their stock - and everybody was happy! So now I know and will try it at Hancock's someday. I seem to remember that they don't do the 50% off on less than a yard on the bolt.

Have a good day. Edie

lisalovesquilting 09-14-2012 03:15 AM

Edie, It's so nice to hear a positive post about Jo-Ann's. I'm glad you had a good experience.

Lara122 09-14-2012 04:28 AM

My wal mart usually has knowledgeable people, and decent quality fabric, but -- no end of bolt discounts. I have asked. They'll say do you want it all? And when I ask if it would be discounted, it is a firm NO. I won't take it then. They sell it as a remnant, at only twenty percent off.

BeagleMom 09-14-2012 05:07 AM

That really stinks, damaquilts! I live in Emporia, but there are 3 Jo-Ann's stores within 1 1/2 hours I can visit. They are usually very nice, though I do not usually make it to the End of the Bolt sales. I have a Teacher Discount Card. I sure wish I could use that in conjunction with other coupons. With education budgets cut, teachers have to purchase a lot of their own supplies and extras for underprivileged students. That doesn't leave a lot of extra $$ for fabric and other quilting supplies.

BeagleMom 09-14-2012 05:21 AM

That's sad, mme3924 ! We have 2 Jo-Ann's, Hancock, Hobby Lobby, 2 A.C. Moore stores, a Quilting Adventures store, and at least 2 Wal-Marts that sell fabrics in Richmond, VA. Halfway to Emporia, VA, there is another Jo-Ann's and a Wal-Mart with fabric, and in South Hill, VA, there is a Wal-Mart with fabric, 45 mins away. It IS hard to find cutters at Wal-Mart, but I have not been treated rudely at all by anyone in all the stores mentioned. I just wish the Emporia Wal-Mart would bring its fabric back!

Quiltlady330 09-14-2012 12:03 PM

What a great upper! Love hearing positive experiences. Have a great winter. :)

Dogwood Quilter 09-14-2012 01:46 PM

I didn't know about the end of bolt discount either. Not to long ago I picked up a piece and ask for a yard. There was one inch over the yard and she charged me full price for the one inch. My friend said I should have told her to cut the one inch off. I will no the next time. I could have lived without it. I have a feeling store managers may be making the difference in policy at the different stores. I am also finding the people they are hiring are not knowledgeable about fabric.

ohiobuckeye 09-14-2012 02:06 PM

Teacher Discount Card

I have a Teacher Discount Card. I sure wish I could use that in conjunction with other coupons.

You CAN use it with sale prices, though.....I wait until batting/fabric/thread/whatever is 50% off then get another 15% off on top of that...

jcrow 09-14-2012 03:03 PM

I don't even know where a JoAnn's store is around me. Maybe 250 miles away. So, consider yourselves all lucky.

Feathers 09-14-2012 03:49 PM

Years ago I was told that 2 wraps around the cardboard the fabric is on equals 1 Yard so if you count the wraps you'll know how much is on the bolt and can figure out (in the ball park) what to ask for so there'll be some left for the 50% off the end of the bolt. Also, I think there is a discount at Joann's for the over 60 year old group...I just heard about this yesterday and I think I was told Wed. is the 60 and over discount. Happy Quilting.