Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   John Flynn Quilt Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/john-flynn-quilt-frame-t139438.html)

donnalynett 07-25-2011 08:24 PM

I found it was okay if you only wanted to quilt 2", stop and reroll everything, quilt 2" and on and on. I gave it away.

Jannie 07-26-2011 10:11 PM

I tried the frame at a quilt show & it is like most machines. There is a learning curve to be able to use it. My concern was, as you roll the quilt on your take up roller, the quilting space gets smaller. The average sewing machine only has a 5-10 inch harp to start with so by the end of the quilt there isn't much more than 3-4 inches of space to quilt in. Also the larger the quilt, the smaller the space. This is my main complaint with the Viking-Husqvarna frame.

Old hen 07-27-2011 06:25 AM

Will $30.00 buy a John Flynn frame from anyone who has one they don't like that's just stored in a closet?

MissJMac 08-08-2011 06:54 PM

Geez! Looks like a lot of people have/had them, but few are still using them. Count me in that number. After dropping a few hints, one of my sons bought me one for Christmas years ago (the first model) and set it up for me. I never could get the hang of it and eventually stored it away, and for the life of me I can't remember where - haven't seen it in years LOL

MissJMac 08-08-2011 06:54 PM

Geez! Looks like a lot of people have/had them, but few are still using them. Count me in that number. After dropping a few hints, one of my sons bought me one for Christmas years ago (the first model) and set it up for me. I never could get the hang of it and eventually stored it away, and for the life of me I can't remember where - haven't seen it in years LOL

Old hen 08-08-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Old hen
Will $30.00 buy a John Flynn frame from anyone who has one they don't like that's just stored in a closet?

I want to buy one, but with all the negative comments, don't want to pay more than $30.00 for it. Surely, there's one out there!

sew so 03-01-2013 10:02 PM

Looks like on ebay, it cost about $16 to ship wooden Flynn frame.

DOTTYMO 03-01-2013 11:07 PM

I purchased one. Loved using it but my problem was the length of area required to use. I live in a small English cottage and it was difficult to find the width required in my cottage. I had not realised the frame required so much space. Unlike Ashgrover I blocked doors when using it. I felt the bathroom was an essential not sure about dinner table.

reneaunoel 03-02-2013 06:05 PM

I have one, newer with pvc "pipes", first FMQ project was a quilt runner. worked ok, but the Kenmore machine has a small space, so by end of runner, I was OUT of room! My new HV Sapphire 835 has 9" of room, so I can quilt more, before having to "scroll forward".

I really have to watch that I don't over tighten the layers, but I love the frame. In a future world, I'll have more room and build a table at the right height for me to use, and I'll have lot's of "side to side" room! Until then, I store it in the closet, waiting for the next project worth setting up the "door" table for! And clearing all breakables away from the end of the table!

JillRN1995 04-30-2013 05:45 PM

To BRGranma

Would you be interested in selling it? I live in Baton Rouge too. Please let me know ASAP because I plan to order one within the next few days.

Jill