Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   John Flynn Quilt Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/john-flynn-quilt-frame-t139438.html)

sandy l 07-23-2011 08:26 AM

I had one, but guess I'm not that cordinated. It allways reminded me of the old "pat your head, rub your stomach" .

quiltmom04 07-23-2011 08:26 AM

I had one, and it takes time to get it rolled, etc. just like with a long-arm. The problem comes because your domestic machine is limited by the space under the arm. If you have a newer one with more space, that's a tiny bit better, but the take up roller has to fit under there, and the little bit of room you have left - that's all the space you have to quilt. While the theory is good, I never used it much. Not enough quilting area.

luv2so 07-23-2011 09:09 AM

I've got one. Don't like it. It just sits here in my sewingroom.

girliegirl 07-23-2011 09:31 AM

take two tubes and piece it together.

Originally Posted by DonnaC
Unfortunately the USPS tubes are not long enough for the frame. I have the old-style wooden one, and the poles alone measure 42" long. The largest tube from USPS is 38". I guess you'd have to buy a box from the UPS Store or an office supply place.

gypsylady5 07-23-2011 11:02 AM

I sold mine as well as I couldn't figure out how to use it. I shipped it via UPS - be sure to have them pack it and insure it as they broke mine during shipping. They paid for the repairs. I found it awkward, so just use the Juki to quilt with and got rid of the frame.

willis.debra 07-23-2011 12:07 PM

I considered it but then I found the Gracie EZ frame on Joanns. i was saving for it and then found it on ebay. Got it for 150 including shipping :-D . For small quilts I use an embroidery scroll frame with the dowels replaced with longer ones. You can get them at home depot in 36 inches. Hope this helps.

I thought you meant for hand quilting. If you didn't I don't know if this will help at all. the only machine I've ever liked was my Moms old White. (Or maybe they don't like me. They always break.)

anewchapter 07-23-2011 01:57 PM

I just tried using mine again. I have a brother machine with not a very large throat space. I find I only have about 3 inches of quilting space and don't like it for that reason. Every other aspect of it is great. I am looking for a machine with a large throat space and will try it again on that before I buy a Gracie frame.

GrandmaLola 07-23-2011 01:59 PM

I use mine and like it. The quilting does go pretty fast, once you're set up. I DON'T like setting it up--like the tip about pinning to leader though, I'll be doing that from now on! In fact, I'm in the middle of setting up right now for a quilt.

I have purchased the longer poles, but have not tried them yet. That's the draw back; for bigger quilts, you do need a lot of room to move the frame back and forth.

All things considered, since the one thing about quilting that I HATE is sandwiching--this has been a good solution for me.

quiltnotes 07-23-2011 04:19 PM

My husband, who is also a quilter, bought a Flynn frame about 6 years ago and has tried, but has been unable to use it. It doesn't interest me. I quilt my quilts on my Brother sewing machine.

DebraK 07-23-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
use two boxes taped together in the middle

good idea, but the only boxes I could find from the USPS site are Priority Mail, and you have to order a minimum of 10. I know I can figure something out, I just haven't been very motivated. Out of sight out of mind, until someone here brings it up ;-)