Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   John Flynn Quilt Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/john-flynn-quilt-frame-t139438.html)

DebraK 07-22-2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The post office has the long boxes and mailing tubes on their website that can be delivered to your house for free.

yep, I need to get over my laziness. I'll check out the USPS site. Thanks ;-)

DonnaC 07-22-2011 03:49 PM

Unfortunately the USPS tubes are not long enough for the frame. I have the old-style wooden one, and the poles alone measure 42" long. The largest tube from USPS is 38". I guess you'd have to buy a box from the UPS Store or an office supply place.

DebraK 07-22-2011 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
Unfortunately the USPS tubes are not long enough for the frame. I have the old-style wooden one, and the poles alone measure 42" long. The largest tube from USPS is 38". I guess you'd have to buy a box from the UPS Store or an office supply place.

yep, I noticed that too. Back to being lazy ;-)

BellaBoo 07-22-2011 04:24 PM

I think the wooden ones would be better but the new ones are very lightweight and easier to roll to quilt.

lwbuchholz 07-23-2011 02:29 AM

My daughter bought me a frame and she bought one for herself. She is going to set hers up on a pool table but my house is too small for a large quilt. I haven't used it yet but there is a video on his site that shows how to use it. The video comes with the frame. I can see it will take a lot of practice so I plan on practicing on some charity quilts and place mats. First I need to get another machine as I am sewing on mine now and can't spare it.
Lynda

Originally Posted by Old hen
I'm considering the "John Flynn Quilt Frame" and would like to hear some pros and cons.

hawghugger 07-23-2011 03:24 AM

I have one and love it. Once you get the hang of it, you can go to town quilting on it. It takes me less than two hours to finish a lap quilt. Don't care for the stitching the leader to the quilt, takes too long. So now, after seeing how long armers pin the quilt to the leader, it's so much easier.

jhoward 07-23-2011 04:01 AM

Have one, too. Didn't much care for it.

JeannieT 07-23-2011 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
I had one several years ago, couldnt get the pvc pipes to stay on the table, so hubby drilled holes at each corner of the frame and put casters in there.... which helped alot.
Ive since bought a longarm and gave my JF frame away

Can you give me a little more info on what your hubby did here? I have one of these too and think I could eventually learn to like it, but can't seem to keep the pipes where they need to stay....my hubby already made me 3 different sizes of other pipes, so I really need to get the hang of using it....any info would be appreciated. I'm not sure I understand which part of the frame he pur casters in....thanks!

sewmom 07-23-2011 05:08 AM

I have one of those frames and there is a large learning curve on this frame. John Flynn makes it look so easy! I have worked with it some and there is a lot of information on this board too,even some great modifications for the frame/machine. Good luck!

pflum1 07-23-2011 05:13 AM

I have the Flynn Quilt frame and don't care for it. I use it on my picnic table on a cover porch. I feel I can do a better job pinning my quilt and rolling it under the sewing machine.