Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just curious - foot with a guide? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-curious-foot-guide-t299445.html)

cashs_mom 09-10-2018 01:38 PM

I'm not a big fan of the foot with a guide. I have a seam guide that I just stick on my machine bed that works really well and that is what I use on my straight stitch machines. I *love* knee lifts. Ever since I got my first Bernina, I've been hooked. One of the pleasant surprises about my Juki 2200 mini was that it had a knee lift. I use my left foot on the foot control and right for the knee lift. I've been using my left foot on the foot control so long that I do it even on machines without a knee lift. I have to say that the thread cutter on the Juki is really handy but I don't consider it something I couldn't live without.

Rhonda K 09-10-2018 02:01 PM

Love it! It's my go-foot for most stitching.

I haven't mastered the knee lift and would probably just bruise my leg on it. LOL!

SusieQOH 09-10-2018 02:40 PM

Maybe I'll try my knee lift after all the positive comments on it. My quarter inch foot that I mentioned above does not have a guide. I like it a lot.

GEMRM 09-10-2018 03:16 PM

I have a quarter inch foot that came with my machine (Elna 740) that I consistently use for my piecing. I also use the knee lift lever and wouldn't be without it. I use my right leg for the lifter and my left foot for the foot pedal. If I go somewhere where I can't use the knee lift, I spend a lot of time trying to use it!

VitaLuna 09-10-2018 03:19 PM

I have a Pfaff and prefer my foot with the guide.

I don’t use the knee lift, although I have never given it a try. I can “tap” the pedal on my Pfaff to get the foot up/down and needle up/down.

Jingle 09-10-2018 06:46 PM

No way could I sew with my left foot. That's probably why I hated my knee lift. I keep a plastic table set up on my left side and the knee lift just gets in the way. I decided to use my 1/4" foot with guide to sew binding on my quilts. For piecing I use either my compensating foot or 1/4" foot that came with my Babylock Jane. It actually sews a scant 1/4". Practice makes perfect and much easier than when I started using it.

Welcome back.

ruby2shoes 09-10-2018 11:20 PM

I love the knee lift on both the Juki and the Janome....and I use either of my feet to operate the foot pedal...just depends where the pedal has "wandered" under my desk as to which foot I use!

#1 AAA quilter 09-11-2018 12:42 AM

The knee lift was hard to get used to, but I can't sew without it now. It's great that I don't have to move my hands off the fabric to raise the presser foot. I can sew with or without the guide fence.

NJ Quilter 09-11-2018 02:32 AM

My (Viking) machine has a needle setting for a 'scant' 1/4". It's perfect. I did purchase a foot w/guide for it and ended up hating it. Fortunately the dealer returned and refunded that purchase! Don't have a knee lift but don't think I could get used to that feature and/or sewing 'left footed'.

lindaschipper 09-11-2018 02:46 AM

I have 3 Janome Machines, but one is strictly used for quilting tops only. I use my MC6500P Janome for regular sewing, both machines came with multiple feet for different processes....not a good 1/4" attachment in the bunch. I've tried the generic with the side bar for 1/4" seams and to me they are so tiny that I find them totally inaccurate. I'd rather cut my fabric a tiny bit bigger and use a regular foot for seams to make up the difference. Or cut the regular given size and sew with the normal foot and have my project be a bit smaller. At least all my seams would be cohesive. Clear as mud right?? Foot Petal for me.