Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just curious - foot with a guide? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-curious-foot-guide-t299445.html)

mrsg730 09-10-2018 02:10 AM

Just curious - foot with a guide?

After being away from my sewing room for 2 years, I spent every minute possible in in this weekend. I cleaned organized decorated and even got in some piecing and quilting. Awhile sewing I realized that I had to re-learn some things and can’t decide if I like them or not. For instance my quarter inch foot with a guide. Do I prefer it to the one without? My knee lift, do I like it or do I prefer the old school way of lifting my foot from the back of the machine.

Just curious, do you prefer a foot with a guide? Do you use your knee lift option if you have one or do you still go old school?

I do have to say it did feel heavenly to be back at the sewing machine!

tallchick 09-10-2018 02:39 AM

I hate my foot with the guide, it sits in my bin of “ wasted money”, and I love the knee lift on my Juki and I don’t use my foot controller either, I prefer the start stop button.

Welcome back to quilting, don’t forget to share your projects with us!

mrsg730 09-10-2018 03:07 AM

I’m still on the fence about both. I’m having a hard time uploading pictures but once I figure it out I will definitely share! Thanks for your kind welcome back!

Tartan 09-10-2018 03:12 AM

I am so used to using my foot control that my knee lift is never used. I like my 1/4 inch quilting foot for my Bernina.

jmoore 09-10-2018 03:22 AM

I’m in the same boat as lyric girl with the same machine...I have come to love the knee lift and use a 1/4” guide that screws into the needle plate when piecing blocks. However, I don’t like the knee lift on my Janome machines.

mandyrose 09-10-2018 03:34 AM

i have a brother combo emb./sewing it has a setting for 1/4 in. 5.5 using the j foot i can guide the fabric along the edge of the foot the machine came with a single stitch foot and a bobbin cover with a line to follow for 1/4 i don't like and don't use it i don't use the knee lift either and i also have the 1/4 foot with the guide and i don't use that either the guide dosen't set flat on the machine and the fabric wants to travel under the guide making makine me a wider seam maybe its me but i can't seem to control that,and it's for single stitch i cannot adjust the needle if i need a scant 1/4, the setting above works great for me if i need to adjust for a scant i can do that with out changeing the foot.good for you getting back into sewing after 2 yrs i bet it felt good.

KalamaQuilts 09-10-2018 03:46 AM

welcome home! I was away for nearly 3 years, how wonderful it was to have everything at hand again.
I use my open toe applique foot for piecing.

ckcowl 09-10-2018 03:56 AM

I seldom use the foot with the guide and always use my foot pedal. Never had the right control with the knee control.

quilterpurpledog 09-10-2018 04:03 AM

I have two Bernina machines and one Singer 401A in a cabinet. The Singer foot control slips into a bracket and becomes a knee control which I got used to lots of years ago. Therefore, I have never gotten comfortable with the knee lifter control with the other machines. I am happy to use the foot control on the floor. I have a #37 patchwork foot without a guide and I like that very much. We are creatures of habit. I'm glad you are back to sewing and quilting.

maminstl 09-10-2018 04:15 AM

I am not a fan of the 1/4 foot with guide, or any 1/4 foot for that matter. I much prefer just moving my needle into the right position and using my standard foot. I also really prefer a knee lift - don't think I would buy a new sewing machine that did not have it.