Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just curious - foot with a guide?

Just curious - foot with a guide?

After being away from my sewing room for 2 years, I spent every minute possible in in this weekend. I cleaned organized decorated and even got in some piecing and quilting. Awhile sewing I realized that I had to re-learn some things and canít decide if I like them or not. For instance my quarter inch foot with a guide. Do I prefer it to the one without? My knee lift, do I like it or do I prefer the old school way of lifting my foot from the back of the machine.

Just curious, do you prefer a foot with a guide? Do you use your knee lift option if you have one or do you still go old school?

I do have to say it did feel heavenly to be back at the sewing machine!

I hate my foot with the guide, it sits in my bin of “ wasted money”, and I love the knee lift on my Juki and I don’t use my foot controller either, I prefer the start stop button.

Welcome back to quilting, don’t forget to share your projects with us!
    Lisa

I’m still on the fence about both. I’m having a hard time uploading pictures but once I figure it out I will definitely share! Thanks for your kind welcome back!

Power Poster
    I am so used to using my foot control that my knee lift is never used. I like my 1/4 inch quilting foot for my Bernina.

Blog Entries
    I’m in the same boat as lyric girl with the same machine...I have come to love the knee lift and use a 1/4” guide that screws into the needle plate when piecing blocks. However, I don’t like the knee lift on my Janome machines.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

i have a brother combo emb./sewing it has a setting for 1/4 in. 5.5 using the j foot i can guide the fabric along the edge of the foot the machine came with a single stitch foot and a bobbin cover with a line to follow for 1/4 i don't like and don't use it i don't use the knee lift either and i also have the 1/4 foot with the guide and i don't use that either the guide dosen't set flat on the machine and the fabric wants to travel under the guide making makine me a wider seam maybe its me but i can't seem to control that,and it's for single stitch i cannot adjust the needle if i need a scant 1/4, the setting above works great for me if i need to adjust for a scant i can do that with out changeing the foot.good for you getting back into sewing after 2 yrs i bet it felt good.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

welcome home! I was away for nearly 3 years, how wonderful it was to have everything at hand again.
    I use my open toe applique foot for piecing.

Blog Entries
    I seldom use the foot with the guide and always use my foot pedal. Never had the right control with the knee control.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have two Bernina machines and one Singer 401A in a cabinet. The Singer foot control slips into a bracket and becomes a knee control which I got used to lots of years ago. Therefore, I have never gotten comfortable with the knee lifter control with the other machines. I am happy to use the foot control on the floor. I have a #37 patchwork foot without a guide and I like that very much. We are creatures of habit. I'm glad you are back to sewing and quilting.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-10-2018 at 04:43 AM.

I am not a fan of the 1/4 foot with guide, or any 1/4 foot for that matter. I much prefer just moving my needle into the right position and using my standard foot. I also really prefer a knee lift - don't think I would buy a new sewing machine that did not have it.

Banned
    Welcome back to quilting!

I'm strictly old fashioned. (I'm a really little old lady.) I use a foot control thing that sits on the floor and any foot is fine. Since I have a cheap Singer I don't have anything fancy.

Blog Entries
    I really miss the knee lift if i sew on another machine. And I can't live without my guide.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T Ė is it True? H Ė is it Helpful? I Ė is it Inspiring? N Ė is it Necessary? K Ė is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

My Bernina came with a knee lift but I never use it. Just never got used to it and don't miss it. It's taking up dust in my room. I use a quarter inch foot and that one works great.

Blog Entries
    I would like a knee lift or just a plain old lever or button on the front of the machine for lifting the presser foot!

Welcome back!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

The knee lift on my Bernina is definitely in my "can't live without it" category now. I love it. My 1/4" foot does not have a guide on it.

Guides reduce visibility to me more accurate without imho
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I have a friend who has always been challenged by maintaining a consistent seam width, she loves her guided foot and her foot up/down button, and cannot live without her clip thread option.

I use a vintage machine as my standard machine (and have been using it for about 25 years now) and am pretty accurate with my piecing - I have zero machine options really, but I do have a good strong straight stitch. When I use my cheap modern Brother at classes or whatnot, I'm always taking multiple tries to do things that I don't even think about on my regular machine. Mostly it's what you are used to doing.

A friend of mine has offered me a nice modern machine she has but I have to go visit her to get it... I'm looking forward to the visit (tentatively November) whether or not she actually gives me the machine, that's not the purpose of the visit. It does have automatic threading and with my vision issues that would be lovely to have. Forget what brand my friend likes, but she likes nice things...

I loved the 1/4" foot/guide with my Janome.
    I had perfect seams.

The Bernina 1/4" I have a love-hate relationship with it as I find I cannot get the perfect seams.
    A hair too wide, which then means blocks do not make to the right size ..... easily.

Knee lift ... the 1st machine I got it with, I avoided it.
    Hated it when I tried it, but I could see the advantages.
    Plus discovered, because I had first learned to sew with a knee pedal,
    I reverted to thinking it was for that purpose. Talk about messy sewing!

Finally I "forced" myself to use it consistently while working on a project.
    Yup, I soon fell in love with it.
    To tackle the knee pedal issues, I now run the foot pedal with my left foot.
    Knee lift with my right knee.

Can't live without it and will never buy a machine now, without it!!!

As for the 1/4" foot issue ......... I wish I could get that back to being a total love!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

For the Pq1500s I use and like the quarter inch foot (no guide) that came with it. This machine is straight stitch only and the needle cannot be moved left or right, but the combination of really good needleplate markings and the quarter inch foot means I can easily get a very consistent scant quarter inch seam. I do Not like using the knee lifter on this machine because Iíve never gotten good at controlling my speed with my left foot so I use my right foot on the pedal which makes it awkward to use the knee lifter.

For the PC420PRW I use my regular zigzag presser foot (the j foot) and move the needle over to the right so that I can use the edge of my presser foot to get a consistent seam allowance. I adjust it however far it needs to be to get the correct seam allowance for my project. Early on I purchased both kinds of 1/4 inch feet for it, but found that using the j foot and moving the needle to the right gave me a much more consistent seam. This machine has a speed controller so I sometimes will use the knee lifter. It comes in handy for times when I donít want to take my hands off the work, but I have to admit that I often forget itís there and reach for the hand lever.

My other machines donít have knee lifters or 1/4 inch feet.

Rob
    Last edited by rryder; 09-10-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I have no knee lift option, or I probably would use it. I use the 1/4' foot that doesn't have a guide because i can see where I am actually sewing better without a guide.

Welcome back!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I'm not a big fan of the foot with a guide. I have a seam guide that I just stick on my machine bed that works really well and that is what I use on my straight stitch machines. I *love* knee lifts. Ever since I got my first Bernina, I've been hooked. One of the pleasant surprises about my Juki 2200 mini was that it had a knee lift. I use my left foot on the foot control and right for the knee lift. I've been using my left foot on the foot control so long that I do it even on machines without a knee lift. I have to say that the thread cutter on the Juki is really handy but I don't consider it something I couldn't live without.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Love it! It's my go-foot for most stitching.

I haven't mastered the knee lift and would probably just bruise my leg on it. LOL!

Maybe I'll try my knee lift after all the positive comments on it. My quarter inch foot that I mentioned above does not have a guide. I like it a lot.

I have a quarter inch foot that came with my machine (Elna 740) that I consistently use for my piecing. I also use the knee lift lever and wouldn't be without it. I use my right leg for the lifter and my left foot for the foot pedal. If I go somewhere where I can't use the knee lift, I spend a lot of time trying to use it!
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

I have a Pfaff and prefer my foot with the guide.

I donít use the knee lift, although I have never given it a try. I can ďtapĒ the pedal on my Pfaff to get the foot up/down and needle up/down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast