Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just how much? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-how-much-t65515.html)

ann clare 09-19-2010 01:59 AM

Fabric is expensive here. I buy 2 yards if I like it. Yellow Brick Road is a great pattern for using fat quarters.

Joan Rosemary 09-19-2010 02:00 AM

I agree with all of the above but the overriding thing is what your budget will allow. Have fun. I am new at this as well and I am having so much fun finding fabrics and if I really love the fabric I will buy as much as I can afford at the time.
Joan

DebsShelties 09-19-2010 02:15 AM

I learned a long time ago to always purchase more fabric than what the pattern says, since I make mistakes. That way I don't have to worry about getting more if the mistake is a biggie cutting wise.

Yarn or Fabric 09-19-2010 03:13 AM

My mother always said to buy 2 yards of a fabric so that's what I do if I like it. If it is a blender, I try to buy 4 yards or so. Blenders are worth gold in my house. I have lots of prints and not enough blenders to make them play together nicely.

CompulsiveQuilter 09-19-2010 03:31 AM

I guess I'm "doomed" to be a scrap quilter only. I can't bring myself to buy more than one yard at a time and usually remnants. I just looked at a block pattern I LOVE (marcia Hohn) but it's a two-color and for a queen I'd need 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 yards respectively. I can't possibly do that; I would freak at the cutting counter!

leatheflea 09-19-2010 03:49 AM

2 yard min. But will take whatever they have. Just love it and buy it. It always looks good just sitting there waiting to be picked for the next project. Sounds silly but when I open my fabric cabinets I imagine that they are all screaming "OH pick me". Yep they call me crazy.

LadybugPam 09-19-2010 03:54 AM

some quilt shops will give you 25% off the rest of the bolt. it will do you well if you know there is at least two yards left.

wolfkitty 09-19-2010 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I guess I'm "doomed" to be a scrap quilter only. I can't bring myself to buy more than one yard at a time and usually remnants. I just looked at a block pattern I LOVE (marcia Hohn) but it's a two-color and for a queen I'd need 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 yards respectively. I can't possibly do that; I would freak at the cutting counter!

Nothing wrong with being a scrap quilter. 6 1/2 and 7 1/2? Wow, that's seems like a lot of fabric, even for a queen size. But I'm kind of new at the yardage thing. (I do scraps, too.)

I usually buy a yard, two if I can afford it. Then I make a quilt using coordinating fabric(s).

SherriB 09-19-2010 05:08 AM

I am new to quilting but sewed for many years. I usually get 1 to 2 yards, depending on my budget. I still have a hard time buying more than 2 yards. I think it is because the patterns I made (clothing) seldom called for more than 2 yards and I became conditioned to that amount.

And a quick question. What is considered a blender fabric?

sueisallaboutquilts 09-19-2010 05:22 AM

Debbie is right. The 12 step program doesn't work here. Nobody will allow it hahaha :D