Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Just how much?

Ok I'm a collector at this point, working on becoming a begining quilter. Since I've found this wonderful site, with amazing people and ideas, I'm ready to make the jump from fat 1/4's to yardage! Just how many yards do you buy if you see a fabric you like, that is a great deal, but don't have a spacific quilt pattern in mind?

Usually 2 yards minimum. If I really like it and the pocketbook stretches that far I'll get 5-7 especially if I think I might want to use it for backing.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I started getting just one yard of each just to get my stash going..( i like scrappy quilts so lil amounts worked well for me) however if I LIKE it I get 3-5 yds and If I LOVE it I get 8-10 yds.. Neutrals I buy more on the love side since they are used more often..

I often buy by the bolt. If I really like the fabric I want to be sure I'd have enough for the main fabric in a quilt and maybe enough for the backing. I use alot of neutrals and blenders too. I have purchased smaller pieces as I like scrap quilts as well. OK I'll confess.....I'm addicted and I buy it all.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board. A word of warning, it is addicting.
    I usually buy whatever I want depending on price and availability. To start a stash though I would suggest at least one yard pcs. If it is a really good sale, then 2. And once you become a regular, you willbe able to buy on this board and there are great buys offered by other members. Warning again...you will spend money on here. The 12 step programs for withdrawal do not work on this board. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome! That's a tough call. I usually buy 1-2 yards and sometimes that's enough and sometimes not!

At least 3 if ya love it, can look for a cordinating neutral for the back later. My opinion :)
    Depends what type of projects your doing, Pick one and go your taste for certain things will more than likely change, as you go, enjoy the process ( reminding myself of this now that have one going that I'm growling at :) LOL) but will be pretty whan it's done.
    Good luck and Happy Quilting, Welcome

Welcome!

I'm just scrappy at heart so my stash has mostly 1/2, 5/8 size cuts. A few fabrics are 1 yard and maybe a handful of ones I really liked and got 2 yards or so. Then I started a small collection of charms. :-)

See I have not started doing this for the same reason. I have only purchased fabric for the specific patterns that we are using in classes, etc. I have seen fabric that I really liked many times but didn't get it because I had NO idea how much to get. Luckily, I am taking so many classes, I just remember the fabric and then use it for whatever project we are doing. Have fun shopping!!

I usually get 1 to 2 yards depending on the budget I am working with that week. I also love fat quarters when they are on sale. I have made some really cute bags out of fats and charm paks.

Fabric is expensive here. I buy 2 yards if I like it. Yellow Brick Road is a great pattern for using fat quarters.

I agree with all of the above but the overriding thing is what your budget will allow. Have fun. I am new at this as well and I am having so much fun finding fabrics and if I really love the fabric I will buy as much as I can afford at the time.
    Joan

Blog Entries
    I learned a long time ago to always purchase more fabric than what the pattern says, since I make mistakes. That way I don't have to worry about getting more if the mistake is a biggie cutting wise.

My mother always said to buy 2 yards of a fabric so that's what I do if I like it. If it is a blender, I try to buy 4 yards or so. Blenders are worth gold in my house. I have lots of prints and not enough blenders to make them play together nicely.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I guess I'm "doomed" to be a scrap quilter only. I can't bring myself to buy more than one yard at a time and usually remnants. I just looked at a block pattern I LOVE (marcia Hohn) but it's a two-color and for a queen I'd need 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 yards respectively. I can't possibly do that; I would freak at the cutting counter!

2 yard min. But will take whatever they have. Just love it and buy it. It always looks good just sitting there waiting to be picked for the next project. Sounds silly but when I open my fabric cabinets I imagine that they are all screaming "OH pick me". Yep they call me crazy.

some quilt shops will give you 25% off the rest of the bolt. it will do you well if you know there is at least two yards left.

Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    I guess I'm "doomed" to be a scrap quilter only. I can't bring myself to buy more than one yard at a time and usually remnants. I just looked at a block pattern I LOVE (marcia Hohn) but it's a two-color and for a queen I'd need 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 yards respectively. I can't possibly do that; I would freak at the cutting counter!
    Nothing wrong with being a scrap quilter. 6 1/2 and 7 1/2? Wow, that's seems like a lot of fabric, even for a queen size. But I'm kind of new at the yardage thing. (I do scraps, too.)

I usually buy a yard, two if I can afford it. Then I make a quilt using coordinating fabric(s).

Blog Entries
    I am new to quilting but sewed for many years. I usually get 1 to 2 yards, depending on my budget. I still have a hard time buying more than 2 yards. I think it is because the patterns I made (clothing) seldom called for more than 2 yards and I became conditioned to that amount.

And a quick question. What is considered a blender fabric?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Debbie is right. The 12 step program doesn't work here. Nobody will allow it hahaha :D

Blog Entries
    I buy 2 and if it really sings to me(and I have the money), I buy 3 or 4 yards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
    I often buy by the bolt. If I really like the fabric I want to be sure I'd have enough for the main fabric in a quilt and maybe enough for the backing. I use alot of neutrals and blenders too. I have purchased smaller pieces as I like scrap quilts as well. OK I'll confess.....I'm addicted and I buy it all.
    Do they actually measure the whole bolt out for you? Or do they have a set price?

I usually buy 2-3 yds., but will buy more if I really love it and I have the money. I do have a lot of 1yd. pieces and remnants because I like to do scrappy quilts. Buy what you want and CAN AFFORD at the time.

I usually buy 1 metre and heaps of 6 inch squares, lol yep in Australia I am, and a metre is a bit more than yours.
    My motto is if you like it and have the money go for it.
    Heather.

I usually buy at least 2 yards but if it will be a backing, enough to make the back (5-6). Sometimes, whatever the size remnant.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast