Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just how much? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-how-much-t65515.html)

jridner1 09-18-2010 09:46 PM

Ok I'm a collector at this point, working on becoming a begining quilter. Since I've found this wonderful site, with amazing people and ideas, I'm ready to make the jump from fat 1/4's to yardage! Just how many yards do you buy if you see a fabric you like, that is a great deal, but don't have a spacific quilt pattern in mind?

CoyoteQuilts 09-18-2010 09:56 PM

Usually 2 yards minimum. If I really like it and the pocketbook stretches that far I'll get 5-7 especially if I think I might want to use it for backing.

luvTooQuilt 09-18-2010 10:02 PM

I started getting just one yard of each just to get my stash going..( i like scrappy quilts so lil amounts worked well for me) however if I LIKE it I get 3-5 yds and If I LOVE it I get 8-10 yds.. Neutrals I buy more on the love side since they are used more often..

OneMoreQuilt 09-18-2010 10:08 PM

I often buy by the bolt. If I really like the fabric I want to be sure I'd have enough for the main fabric in a quilt and maybe enough for the backing. I use alot of neutrals and blenders too. I have purchased smaller pieces as I like scrap quilts as well. OK I'll confess.....I'm addicted and I buy it all.

debbieumphress 09-18-2010 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the board. A word of warning, it is addicting.
I usually buy whatever I want depending on price and availability. To start a stash though I would suggest at least one yard pcs. If it is a really good sale, then 2. And once you become a regular, you willbe able to buy on this board and there are great buys offered by other members. Warning again...you will spend money on here. The 12 step programs for withdrawal do not work on this board. LOL

Boscobd 09-18-2010 10:22 PM

Welcome! That's a tough call. I usually buy 1-2 yards and sometimes that's enough and sometimes not!

C.Cal Quilt Girl 09-18-2010 11:16 PM

At least 3 if ya love it, can look for a cordinating neutral for the back later. My opinion :)
Depends what type of projects your doing, Pick one and go your taste for certain things will more than likely change, as you go, enjoy the process ( reminding myself of this now that have one going that I'm growling at :) LOL) but will be pretty whan it's done.
Good luck and Happy Quilting, Welcome

quiltluvr 09-18-2010 11:16 PM

Welcome!

I'm just scrappy at heart so my stash has mostly 1/2, 5/8 size cuts. A few fabrics are 1 yard and maybe a handful of ones I really liked and got 2 yards or so. Then I started a small collection of charms. :-)

Qbee 09-18-2010 11:39 PM

See I have not started doing this for the same reason. I have only purchased fabric for the specific patterns that we are using in classes, etc. I have seen fabric that I really liked many times but didn't get it because I had NO idea how much to get. Luckily, I am taking so many classes, I just remember the fabric and then use it for whatever project we are doing. Have fun shopping!!

Ladybugnana 09-18-2010 11:42 PM

I usually get 1 to 2 yards depending on the budget I am working with that week. I also love fat quarters when they are on sale. I have made some really cute bags out of fats and charm paks.