Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Just how much?

Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    I just looked at a block pattern I LOVE (marcia Hohn) but it's a two-color and for a queen I'd need 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 yards respectively. I can't possibly do that; I would freak at the cutting counter!
    Just find your 2 colors in the same color family, they don't have to be the same fabric. You can do it and I expect you'll be very pleased with the results.

I get two yards of big prints, and one yard of small prints.

I usually buy for the quilt I'm making unless it really catches my eye then I get at least 1-2 yards......umm guess I should mention I have maybe 5-6 quilts started at the moment............sigh...ok maybe its more than that...

I never buy less then 3 yards of any fabric that I really like and don't have a plan for it yet. The reason why is, when I finally decide on what I will use it for I want to be sure I have enough. I rarely use more then 3 yards in any one quilt but there has been times when 3 yards just barely made it.

Also I want you newbies to understand that if you really find a piece of fabric you truly love, you better grab it and make sure you get plenty because it doesn't last long on the shelves if it's that pretty and they don't make it all the time so chances are when you do go to make that quilt, you will not be able to find that same piece later on. This has happened to me a couple of times. I guess that's why 3 yards is now my minimum amount.

5 always sounds like a good starting point to me i figure if i really really like it i can use it in a couple of quilts and maybe buy more of it

Quote Originally Posted by jridner1
    Ok I'm a collector at this point, working on becoming a begining quilter. Since I've found this wonderful site, with amazing people and ideas, I'm ready to make the jump from fat 1/4's to yardage! Just how many yards do you buy if you see a fabric you like, that is a great deal, but don't have a spacific quilt pattern in mind?
    Usually one metre if you want it to be a focus fabric, half a metre for the first coordinate and 20cm of however many other bits you want to add to it. All the other bits can be bought after you finish the main part of the top. That way you don't buy too much or make a mistake with the colours.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh If I could buy fabric and I liked it, it would be two to three yards, and if I loved it, it would be what was on the bolt. :D I can only dream. God bless.

Been quilting three years, have a good stash, but I figured out if you buy lights, mediums and dark fabrics of the same color class or group, you will be better able to plan a project. While buying, select your feature fabric first then coordinate it. 2 yards of each should do it. Backing is a different story.

I usually like to buy 5 meter lengths of fabric I like and only buy a meter(40 inches) if I want to get lots of different pieces.

If it is something on sale that I know I will use, I get however much they have, as usually the really 'good' sale fabrics only have a couple yards left on the bolt. If I really like it and don't have a specific project in mind I'll get 1-3 yards depending on the budget that day. The only time I get less than a yard is if it's a remnant or if I'm getting a FQ to see if the fabric will actually go with the fabrics I already have set aside for a particular project.

If it is something on sale that I know I will use, I get however much they have, as usually the really 'good' sale fabrics only have a couple yards left on the bolt. If I really like it and don't have a specific project in mind I'll get 1-3 yards depending on the budget that day. The only time I get less than a yard is if it's a remnant or if I'm getting a FQ to see if the fabric will actually go with the fabrics I already have set aside for a particular project.

If I LOVE it, I buy a minimum of 3 yards, sometimes 5. I do mostly scrap quilts and I'm still bumping into fabric I bought when I first started quilting in the middle 90's; I like the way it connects all the quilts I make, not just because I made them, but there's at least a little piece of the past in my current project.

I usually get 1 yard unless it's a really unusual print, then I get 3-4 depending on what I think I am going to do with it. It's an addicting hobby:-)
    Kate

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharoni
    Been quilting three years, have a good stash, but I figured out if you buy lights, mediums and dark fabrics of the same color class or group, you will be better able to plan a project. While buying, select your feature fabric first then coordinate it. 2 yards of each should do it. Backing is a different story.
    Hello Arkansas, What a wonderful idea. I love your blue and white with red stars quilt. I also like Arkansas---my home town, Springdale.

Virginia

Dee
    I usually get 1 yard. Or 2 or 3 etc. Depends on color and if the fabric yells out to me.

Luvto Quilt I think like you do LOL
    But I do get FQ's and one yard cuts too...
    But I love scrapy quilts so need littl amounst for quilts most of the time.
    ConnieF

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    If I like it and know I'll use it in a quilt I'll buy three yards. If I think it will be a good backing fabric and it's a bargain price I'll buy 7 yards. If it is a fabric that has the color or design I think is fabulous and it is not on sale I will buy a fat quarter and wait for the line to be on sale.
    definitely!!! . Kathy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3