Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just thought you would want to know (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-thought-you-would-want-know-t130176.html)

judi wess 06-14-2011 04:05 AM

I like to use YLI lengerie/bobbin thread in the bobbin when sewing with metallics. I think there is a little give in it and therefore doesn't "cut" the fragile metallics. Love using Sulky Sliver for embellishing gift items and always use the YLI for this thread.

cpfrog 06-14-2011 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
I still buy the older Coats when I can find it. Recently found a shop that was going out of business and bought al they had for 25 cents a spool. I find the older thread ok but not the newer.

I agree. C&C is fine with me, esp. the older cotton wound around a core of polyester. I only had problems with one color - I think it was "Faun", a great "neutral" - and it shredded in hand sewing. (could have been my needle?). The newer poly wound around a core of poly is doing okay so far, but seems hard, like it's too strong for my sewing projects. I do sort of worry that it might "cut" the fabrics eventually with wear and tear; but my quilting is utility.

christinetindell 06-14-2011 04:28 AM

Because it is just not good thread...sorry but true. I heard a lecture about thread and she said that it is a short staple cotton which makes for lots of "fuzzies".

reginalovesfabric 06-14-2011 04:44 AM

c and c thread will NOT work in my embridery machine so I don't buy this at all. I don't use sulky either. To quilt I use gutterman when it's on sale

romanojg 06-14-2011 04:53 AM

I have a Kenmore/Janome and I agree; it so isn't picky about they types of thread. I recently took a class using rayon thread and almost all of the class had to use a micromex needle because it kept breaking and causing nest in thier quilts; not my machine I used the same needle I use for all things. My favorite thread is Aurofil; especially when I'm doing piecing where the seam allowance is very important. It's 2 ply and I couldn't believe the difference that one extra thread made in my blocks plus the Viking dealer said it was the best to use in my mega quilter.

roadrunr 06-14-2011 05:01 AM

I've been using the c&c thread in the Brother machine and have never had any problems with it (it has a lot of lint on it, though). I just purchased a Pfaff and was told not to use c&c in it because of the lint, so bought some mettler thread - but that is soo expensive - paid $6 for a small spool and thurned out it was polyster. Worked fine, but don't like the price. Ordered some thread at Connecting Threads - really like the price $2.50 for 1200 yds of thread! I just started sewing with it and I'll see how it goes.

Dkm 06-14-2011 05:05 AM

There is nothing like Bottom Line for the bobbin. You will be surprised about how much it will hold, because the thread is fine but strong. It's the only thing I use.

many craft person 06-14-2011 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke
I use bobbin thread of one kind or another when I embroider. I don't care for the way a thicker thread makes it feel when it's done. Have you tried one of the many finer threads made for this?

I most definitely will be trying something different now. Like you on some things I don't care for the thicker thread, it somehow just doesn't look right.

gramarraine 06-14-2011 06:23 AM

My Pfaff does not like it when I use coats and clark. I tried Connecting Threads and both we like it. You can't beat the price. We both like Guiterman also. A little more pricey than Connecting Threads though. I have heard that Superior is great. I will probably try it next.

Bonnie P 06-14-2011 06:30 AM

I have never been able to use it in any of my embroidery machines.
Use strictly Janome bobbin thread and love it.