Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   just wondering?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-wondering-t200479.html)

jcrow 09-15-2012 08:48 AM

I have to climb into my bed also. It's a log bed and it sits high. I have a bed skirt that doesn't match my quilt. It matches my curtains. It use to match my bedspread, but it's long gone. It cost too much to get rid of the curtains and skirt, so I just let things not matchy matchy anymore. Nobody goes in my bedroom but my husband and myself and we don't care that everything doesn't match perfectly. I guess I could make a quilt top with the colors of the curtains. I never thought of that. I could take one down and take it with me to the quilt store. Great idea! I thought it up on my own. Hooray for me!

MommaDorian 09-15-2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by icon17 (Post 5514769)
I just buy fitted sheets to put on my box spring.

Wow, what a great idea. I never thought of this. Thanks!!

promenades 09-16-2012 03:43 AM

Hmm, I like mine to drape over the sides by about a foot. This gives us lots of cover just in case DH hogs the quilt. :)

calicojoan 09-16-2012 05:36 AM

I wanted to share that I made bedskirts a few years back for all my beds, and some for a fishing lodge in Alaska. I took an old sheet and cut it the size of the box spring. Then I measured the length from the top of the box spring to the floor. I made the skirt like a quilt, with a front, back and batting in between. I loaded it on my longarm and stitched out a pantograph. Bound it like a quilt on the bottom and attached it to the sheet on the top. I allowed a little extra on the corners and folded it under to make a pleat so it would drape flat. They work out great and you don't have the issues like there are with flimsy bedskirts, because of the batting.

That way you are free to make any size of quilt for the top you like! :)

patdesign 09-16-2012 05:59 AM

Have a sleigh bed so make them to overlap top of sleigh by about 2 inches., Love the fact they don't touch the floor. Also have dust ruffle on guest bed so same thing, NOT to the floor.:)

Grace MooreLinker 09-16-2012 06:06 AM

I like for the quilt to hang down to cover the box springs. also my husband is big /tall so they have to be wide enough to cover him...

jbj137 09-16-2012 06:32 AM

I like mine OverSized.
J J

linhawk 09-16-2012 07:51 AM

I like them to hang about 10" over each side of the mattress. I don't feel tangled up in them and can kickum off when needed. ;-)

Lucy90 09-16-2012 07:57 AM

I have a old brass bed and a antique wood bed. I make my quilts to just cover the box spring. I like the feel of this look of being open. Sometimes the quilt pattern doesn't cooperate but I have added interesting borders.

nativetexan 09-16-2012 08:02 AM

ha, ha. i just got my bed skirt out from under my mattresses. it is mauve and eyelet, not my style anymore. Since i have one of those air mattresses and they are heavy, i will never get it back on again. If i want one, i will look for one taht had elastic.
I suppose you could "make" a bedskirt that way. Having a quilt hang to the floor can be a tripping hazard because the corners will stick out a bit. they usually don't lay flat against the bed due to the batting. You could of course leave out the corners, like quilts made for four poster beds. just a thought.