Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-wondering-why-do-you-buy-pre-cuts-t193341.html)

alisonquilts 07-01-2012 04:13 PM

I have bought only one jellyroll (because I couldn't resist the fabrics, and it was on sale) and one of your small jelly things with the gorgeous batiks. I like the idea of the convenience, and the variety...but I still haven't used them (I've had the jellyroll for about six months now), and I am nervous about the unwashed fabric aspect (I am a prewasher), so I won't buy anymore until I see how these two work out.

Alison

Favorite Fabrics 07-01-2012 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1943 (Post 5331678)
Can understand your answer. My back aches just thinking about it!!

Yeah, well... my co-workers kept asking about my back, too... but it didn't bother me a bit. However, my thumb and index fingers went halfway numb from pressing down so hard on the blade. But I spring back, and they're nearly 100% again.

I decided that this is NOT a job that I could ask the staff to do... don't want them to get any repetitive stress injuries. I guess I don't mind putting myself at risk. Or maybe I'm just a tough ol' bird...

Actually, cutting batiks isn't bad; I can do five strips at a time. But the metallics that Lori likes so much, I could only do three at a time.

franc36 07-01-2012 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by rrhaigh (Post 5331651)
I buy them when want a full line of a particular fabric. Then I may buy some larger pieces of the same line to go along with the precuts.

That is what I do also.

Handcraftsbyjen 07-01-2012 05:09 PM

I don't buy them often, but when I do, it's to save time.

Wantaquilt 07-01-2012 05:11 PM

I buy them for several reason's. I can really only buy fabric once a year. I am not good at putting different fabrics together. For me they are a special gift to myself. I look at others quilts all year long and decide what patterns I would like to make and then I make a wishlist of fabrics(precuts) to use. Then when I can, I get enough to make more than one quilt and spend the rest of the year making them.

3incollege 07-01-2012 05:13 PM

I buy them because of the full line of fabric. They are fun to buy and when a shop if there is nothing else to buy, I ll get a jelly roll or a charm pack.

Sunnie 07-01-2012 05:22 PM

I rarely buy pre-cuts, but I couldn't resist that small jelly of beautiful rainbow batiks. It was only because I could see the full range of the strips in the stack of fabrics. And I have only ever bought 4 charm packs because they were on sale...really don't like working with some of the fabrics that are in them. I prefer to buy yardage.

virtualbernie 07-01-2012 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5331795)
Just a note : I think the way you have your precuts with the bolts shown, and the yardage for each "slice" available is wonderful.. The metalics homeade ones are my favorite, and I am not normally a big consumer of precuts , but these really are irresistable.

I agree! I never buy precuts because I don't like to be relegated to blocks comprised of 2 1/2 ", 5" etc. but I am "color dumb" and appreciate seeing colors/lines that "go together"!

AshleyR 07-01-2012 05:38 PM

I've never used them (ok- I did buy jelly roll to use as binding), but I think I'd really like to. I don't like cutting one bit. I only when I'm at my sewing machine, sewing!

Pat625 07-01-2012 05:55 PM

The only precuts I ever bought were cut by a board member that cuts and sells on Ebay. I wanted to get a large variety of 5" squares and had quite a few projects to get worked on. Usually the precuts are too expensive. This person used her scraps and the price was very reasonable. I have to admit tho that I drool over some of the precut sets I see..I also wouldn't be sure how many to buy for a quilt: for example, how may jelly rolls would be needed for a twin size or a full size? I am sure it would add up