Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-wondering-why-do-you-buy-pre-cuts-t193341.html)

RST 07-01-2012 08:54 PM

Variety and coordination of colors and prints -- so it makes it fast and easy to pull a project with a lot of visual interest together quickly.

Often too, the charm packs are from full current lines, which translates to colors and patterns that are very "now" . The resulting quilts tend to appeal to younger and trendier people, something I don't always hit upon instinctively on my own.

RST

Jackie Spencer 07-01-2012 08:55 PM

Sometimes I have a particular pattern in mind, sometimes for the variety. I like the charm pks. for smaller applique pieces and I have a couple tote patterns that use charm sqs. that are really cute.

Maggiem 07-01-2012 09:35 PM

i'm a big fan of pre-cuts for a lot of reasons.

For variety - a little bit of a lot of different fabrics. I love to make multi-coloured or 'scrap' quilts, so they suit my personal style.

Then, convenience: it's great that someone else did the cutting for me. I've only very very rarely found mis-cut squares (often, unfortunately, during fabric swaps).

Then, to keep up with colours and trends: not having quilt fabric shops anywhere near me, I enjoy receiving sets of squares or fat quarters and have in the past been a subscriber to the Cotton Club and to some of KQ's medleys of the month. I've just finished making a multi-coloured '10-minute' block quilt which used 210 4" squares that I'd been accumulating since the start of this century... I loved making it. I also make FQ pillowcases regularly.

They're also fun to play with. They're pretty. A lot of dream-power for a not too big investment. There are lots of cool things you can do with them...

Did I mention that I really love pre-cuts???

happyquiltmom 07-02-2012 02:40 AM

I haven't bought too many precuts, but have been given quite a few. Most I haven't used yet, as I have too many UFOs to finish first.
One thing I don't like about them (other than what has already been mentioned here) is the pinked edges. I think it sacrifices accuracy in piecing.

WMUTeach 07-02-2012 02:52 AM

I don't. I am to...cheep. I just by a yard knowing that I will use it some place else in another project. It is rare that I buy even a fat quarter, thus my fascination with the fat quarter swap on the board. I don't mind cutting and I guess that I like the adventure of searching out coordinating fabrics. I do see some lovely articles made of jelly rolls, cakes and so on. We are the variety of life.

DebbieG 07-02-2012 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by rrhaigh (Post 5331651)
I buy them when want a full line of a particular fabric. Then I may buy some larger pieces of the same line to go along with the precuts.

Me too, I usually buy 5" squares when they are on a really good price, under $8.....love love love 10" squares, and then I will try and get yardage to go with them...have a lot of precut patterns that do up real quick because I'm not spending so much time on cutting!!

Lavada 07-02-2012 04:57 AM

I buy yardage never used pre-cuts or charms

BettyGee 07-02-2012 05:18 AM

Because I love fabric! I buy them because they give me a variety of designs to use in anything I want to make. I can cut just about any piece I want from one 10" square, charm packs are pure delight and same reason as layer cakes; they let me see all the fabrics in a particular line and then if I want or need yardage I know exactly what I want. Layer cakes and charm packs are my favorites. I've made so many wonderful things using these pre-cuts while I have yardage, that I just had to have, that is still laying on my shelves. Oh and to top that, I'm a fabriholic.

Skittl1321 07-02-2012 05:22 AM

I try not to buy them, because they are very expensive. However, I buy them from Connecting Threads where the yardage cost ends up almost the same (you lose a bit on the charms and layer cakes). I buy it for variety, and because the fabric is so pretty.

sguillot 07-02-2012 05:35 AM

I don't buy them often, the first time was to make an apron then I bought 2 because they were on sale and I liked them. One of them is sitting beside my machine to make a jelly roll quilt but I haven't gotten to it yet.