Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-wondering-why-do-you-buy-pre-cuts-t193341.html)

ladypetite 07-02-2012 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by azure68 (Post 5331603)
Me too. :D

Ditto.....ditto......ditto!!!

kcferrel 07-02-2012 06:10 AM

I joined a "strip" club. We meet monthly and work on various quilt patterns using the jelly rolls. I joined this group so that I consistently finish quilts (I joined in January and have completed 2 lap quilts and 1 crib size). Plus, it is fun to work with the women in the group and see how a pattern made up indifferent fabrics compare.
I didn't buy jelly rolls or precuts before this, I have a difficult time with "scrappy" quilts... Lol, I am definitely out of my comfort zone.

patski 07-02-2012 06:17 AM

I bought the accuquilt and now can cut strips all I want! My back quit hurting too. I hate to pay the extra for a jelly roll because I don't allways like the combinations.

Greenheron 07-02-2012 06:23 AM

Variety only. The wonderful convenience of a bundle of candy themed squares for an I-Spy, for example.

Pat G 07-02-2012 06:50 AM

I haven't bought precuts yet because I enjoy doing my cutting. Maybe if I tried a bundle I'd chg. my mind but I'm afraid I wouldn't like a lot of the pcs. so they'd be a waste even as stash.

Especially after reading here last wk. about how many precuts aren't cut to size. Hmmmm food for thought.

Evie 07-02-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by rrhaigh (Post 5331651)
I buy them when want a full line of a particular fabric. Then I may buy some larger pieces of the same line to go along with the precuts.

This is what I usually do. I love precuts! But I also like to prewash. I forget which manufacturer it is, but their suggestion for prewashing precuts is to press with heavy steam. I've been doing this and have found some pieces shrunk a tad -- well, almost a quarter of an inch! But it seems to be working for me.

butterflies5518 07-02-2012 08:04 AM

I purchase them for the variety - a sample of the entire line, plus I have instant corrdinating prints on hand for a quick project.

Dakota Girl 07-02-2012 08:05 AM

I only buy them if they are on sale for a very good price. If I don't have enough different scraps for a quilt such as a
spiderweb, I will throw in a charm pack. I was surprised a few weeks ago, when Missouri Star had a charm pack on sale for a very good price. I was only allowed to purchase one pack......never had that happen before.

carolynjo 07-02-2012 09:33 AM

I don't buy them and I am slowly using my cut strips that I have sitting in tubs.

leiladylei54 07-02-2012 09:49 AM

I admit I am lazy but sometimes it's just appealing. I hardly ever use them....love having them in my stash, looking at them but there are times when I need to make a quick gift....the pre-cuts work out well.