Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Keeping Machine Needles Straight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/keeping-machine-needles-straight-t66457.html)

clem55 09-24-2010 04:26 AM

Now I am going to sound really dumb, and I am asking a really dumb question, but why is this such a big deal? I have sewed garments for many many years, and except for the right size needle for the fabric I am using, I've never given much thought to thread size/type versus needle size, or how long the needle has been used. I usually use a needle until it breaks. Maybe I've just been lucky, but it has never seemed to be a problem for me. Explanation, please.

AlienQuilter 09-24-2010 04:43 AM

You need different size needles for different fabrics.

I was sewing a purse handle the other day and kept getting skipped stitches. Re-threaded the machine several times including the bobbin. Cleaned really good. Then finally read the manual for troubleshooting. My needle wasn't big enough and once I put a larger needle in, my machine sewed perfectly.

The manual that comes with your machine should have a reference list for matching fabric with needles. If you don't have a manual, look online, there are lots of free manuals online.

clem55 09-24-2010 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter

I was sewing a purse handle the other day and kept getting skipped stitches. Re-threaded the machine several times including the bobbin. Cleaned really good. Then finally read the manual for troubleshooting. My needle wasn't big enough and once I put a larger needle in, my machine sewed perfectly.

The manual that comes with your machine should have a reference list for matching fabric with needles. If you don't have a manual, look online, there are lots of free manuals online.

I know why you use different size needles, I just wonder why you all seem to think you have to use new needles
so often . I've heard comments like I change needles with every new project I start. Seems like a waste to me, especially if you are using the same fabrics. I don't mean changing when you get a burr or bent, etc. I mean just changing so often when there doesn'T seem to be anything wrong with the needle that is in there.

Scissor Queen 09-24-2010 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by clem55

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter

I know why you use different size needles, I just wonder why you all seem to think you have to use new needles
so often . I've heard comments like I change needles with every new project I start. Seems like a waste to me, especially if you are using the same fabrics. I don't mean changing when you get a burr or bent, etc. I mean just changing so often when there doesn'T seem to be anything wrong with the needle that is in there.

Because they get dull. They get dull a lot faster than you would think too.

clem55 09-24-2010 06:42 AM

But if they are going in and out of the fabric, and the holes aren'T showing, and it isn't breaking fabric threads while doing so, then I can't see where the needle is too dull . So aren"t you just doing something because someone tells you it needs to be done? I"d like a really good reason, an example.

BRenea 09-24-2010 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by gale
I use a tomato pincushion and write the sizes on the sections. I put a regular ball-tip pin in the section with the needle size that's in my machine.

I do the same thing, except my pincushion is flower-shaped. Great minds, I guess! :wink:

Bobbin along 09-24-2010 06:53 AM

To keep track of which needle is in my machine, I use a small loop of (non-residual) tape on the back of the needle pack and stick it onto the front my machine.

EasyPeezy 09-24-2010 09:29 AM

I like to keep track of my needles because I like to use the right needle
for the job. It makes a big difference. As to changing needles, I change
whenever I feel like but not too often...depending how much I've been
sewing and what I've been sewing. Fleece will make your needle dull
very quickly. But to each his/her own, I guess. :)

EasyPeezy 09-24-2010 09:34 AM

Here's a neat machine needle organizer for those interested.
I think I should make one of those for myself. :D
http://site.iwebcenters.com/bluefeat...tMainPhoto.jpg

gale 09-24-2010 07:06 PM

I don't use a new needle each time. I'd never be able to keep track because I have more than one project going at a time, usually. The pincushion works great because I can just put the needle back in it when I take it out of my machine. If I think it's getting near the end of its life I'll put is down toward the middle of the pincushion and use it for less critical projects.