Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Keeping Machine Needles Straight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/keeping-machine-needles-straight-t66457.html)

Marquilt 09-23-2010 07:27 PM

I have been experimenting with machine quilting - different threads and needles. I am keeping a written journal of what works best with what, but tonight I found myself confused. I'm not sure what needle I have in the machine. The system I had going of leaving the needle pack open from which the current one came has failed me, since I have two open packs next to my machine, each with one needle out of it.

I do know that the size is engraved in teeny print on the shaft, but I cannot begin to see that. There must be a magnifying glass around here someplace, but this is way too labor intensive.

I need a better plan and I'll bet you people already have one to share with me. *S*

wolfkitty 09-23-2010 07:33 PM

Do you write in your journal what needle you have in the machine? Would that work?

Ramona Byrd 09-23-2010 07:36 PM

What works well for me is, as soon as I get them, I put a dab of wild Halloween fingernail polish on each needle. One dab for one size with the identical number written down on a piece of paper that I tape on the package, with the right size, two dabs with number written down. I can see right away what size it is, even without being able to find my magnifying glass. Of course I have to use something to see the numbers in the first place, but then the glass can stay lost for a while.

The dabs of fingernail polish goes under the gripper so it does not affect the sewing.

Marquilt 09-23-2010 07:37 PM

yes, I do record which needle I am using for which test piece, but today I changed test pieces. Did I change that needle? I don't think so, but did I yesterday?

Old People and Memory....LOL

Marquilt 09-23-2010 07:39 PM

Ramona, I like your fingernail polish idea! Now I'll have to go buy a bottle of it. But please, what do you mean by the "gripper"?

Scissor Queen 09-23-2010 07:45 PM

I have my machine needles in a large pill box type thing. I put a button in the section that I took the needle from.

purplefiend 09-23-2010 07:48 PM

I put a post-it note on my machine when I change needles.
Sharon

BellaBoo 09-23-2010 09:32 PM

After tossing many good machine needles because I had no idea what size they were I made myself know what needle I am using in my machine. I write down the size and type of needle when I change it and write the date and time too. I have started using Organ Titanium coated topstitch needles so when the other brands I have are used up, keeping track won't be hard, the needles are colored coated so I can see at a glance what they are.

EasyPeezy 09-23-2010 09:42 PM

I keep an index card in my drawer and write the date, type and size of
needle. That way I know for how long I've been using the same needle
too.

gale 09-23-2010 10:44 PM

I use a tomato pincushion and write the sizes on the sections. I put a regular ball-tip pin in the section with the needle size that's in my machine.