Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kid friendly Machine??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kid-friendly-machine-t99751.html)

Butterflyblue 02-14-2011 02:32 PM

I bought a second-hand kenmore 3/4 size, and while it doesn't have speed control, it is very simple and I think it would be a good beginner machine. It's a real machine, not a toy. There are only four or so stitch options - long straight stitch, regular straight stitch, wide zigzag and narrow zigzag. maybe there is one more, I can't remember. It's at my MIL's house right now. Anyway, my MIL and I use it as a backup machine and to take to classes and such, and it's works great for basic piecing. The lack of stitch variety is its major drawback for me, but it would keep things simple for a kid.

emmah 02-14-2011 02:55 PM

I have one of those little Kenmore's and they are very simple to use. Instead of paying more for a Hello Kitty which is the same as the Kenmore, get some stickers for your girl to customize her machine. (I decorated my Singer Spartan base with floral border stickers and it's very cheery.)

KarenR 02-14-2011 03:04 PM

there are two types of hello kitty machines I have heard good things about the Janome one.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-14-2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
when my granddaughters decided it was time to start sewing i bought them a brother machine from walmart...for about $90...the best thing about the machine was SPEED CONTROL...i could set it on slow and even when the foot pedal is depressed all the way the machine still goes slow...my youngest granddaughter was 4 when she started...she is now 10, has completed 7 quilts in 3 years and loves that machine....the other 2 girls have moved up to other machines but that first brother is still going strong for the younest :thumbup:

Your granddaughter whose 10 has made 7 quilts? That is just fabulous!!!! :thumbup:

CloverPatch 02-14-2011 05:57 PM

I sat her down on my machine this afternoon. That took some prodding, thankyou! Don't know what scares me more her breaking my machine or her fingers! That was till I was reminded of speed control!

She is doing Okay, and loving it. Telling her little sister who is 6. "I can't play I must go quilt now"

We are putting together 4.5" blocks 10 strips of 8
I looked online at the janome, thinking about going to our shop here in town, then maybe also to sears. I agree with yall, a full size would probally be best. I only like to buy something once!

Kathy N 02-14-2011 06:00 PM

I bought my grandaughter the Hello Kitty machine. She is 7. She has had no problem at all with it. I have the equivalent in the Janome Gem and it works beautifully too. Very light weight and easy to handle. You can buy on ebay for a very reasonable price. However, if you buy through your local dealer, you can get free lessons for her.

Carol W 02-15-2011 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
I sat her down on my machine this afternoon. That took some prodding, thankyou! Don't know what scares me more her breaking my machine or her fingers! That was till I was reminded of speed control!

She is doing Okay, and loving it. Telling her little sister who is 6. "I can't play I must go quilt now"

We are putting together 4.5" blocks 10 strips of 8
I looked online at the janome, thinking about going to our shop here in town, then maybe also to sears. I agree with yall, a full size would probally be best. I only like to buy something once!

When you go to your LQS, you might ask about trade - ins or refurbished machines that they might have.

CompulsiveQuilter 02-15-2011 04:33 AM

Don't even BOTHER with a "kid machine" - I bought the Hello Kitty machine for my 3 - yes 3 - year old grandaughter and it doesn't even have a bobbin or a foot pedal! And threading the needle required a magnifier and a pair of tweezers (I'm not kidding)> I bought her a Singer "easy stitch" from target for 25 bucks (same price as Hello Kitty) and preached about keeping her finger from the needle. She's sewing happily and safely.

girlsfour 02-15-2011 05:09 AM

You could buy a Janome Sew Mini. Adults even use these small machines. Watch Hancock Fabrics as they are on sale quite often for $49.99, even a couple of times a year they are $39.99. There are some other Janome's at Hancock Fabrics for roughly $89. on sale. They thread easy and are great for young sewers. Stay away from the more inexpensive Brother machines unless you try them. I have compared them, they are difficult to thread and don't run the smoothest.

And like someone else said, Janome makes Sears so they may have a comparable model...

patsyo56721 02-15-2011 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
My eldest daughter(Anna 13) uses my maching an ellure plus.
I have a soon to be 8 yr old (Eimly) that is interested in what Im doing. I waited till Anna was 12 before I let her sew, and it was on a Singer from the 70's.

My old Singer, has issues.
I have read on here about how some of you are letting your girls about Emilys age sew already and that they do well.
She wants to sew, and I am attaching her "quilt" that she taped together from my scraps.
My question is there a kid friendly machine that works well?
I have seen the Hello Kitty ones, but I worry that I am paying for the license on the character and not getting a quality machine.
Part of me is scared to death to let her quilt. What if she loses a finger! LOL I know, overbearing. But I don't want to miss this oppurtunity to catch her while she is really interested in this hobby.

I got each of my grandaughters a Baby Lock BL9 for Christmas 2009. It was on sale for $99. and has several stitches. Again this Christmas 2010 it was again on sale. I believe the regular price is $129.00. It is also a good machine to take to sewing classes...