Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Knee Lift Survey (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/knee-lift-survey-t184947.html)

quiltmom04 04-05-2012 05:37 AM

My dad used to drive with his right foot and brake with the left. I thought it was hard to do, because I kept pushing them both at the same time. So I guess as long as you don't press the foot pedal and the knee lift at the same time, it will just take some practice, but sounds like a good idea if you master it.

nancyw 04-05-2012 05:49 AM

I waited a long time to use my knee lift because I am very right sided. But when I started it didn't take me long to get use to using my left foot for the preeser foot. Now when I can't use my knee lift I find my right knee going over to lift it even if it isn't there. And I always use my left foot on the presser foot. I think it would feel strange not to.

Dianna77984 04-05-2012 06:28 AM

I also use my right limbs for everything, but to the lady that her husband twicked her kneelift on her Bernina, I have he same problem, what did he do?

GammaLou 04-05-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy (Post 5114217)
I use the right foot/knee for both. My frustration is that my knee lift (Bernina 440) seems to move to the right as time goes on, so I have to move my knee further and further to the right to use it. Very awkward. Occasionally, I "unplug" and reinsert it and then the same problem begins to develop all over again. Is it just me or do others have this problem?

Me too. It works fine for me. If using your left foot works for you then keep it up and it will soon feel right!

Morag 04-05-2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 (Post 5114786)
Never use mine on either Babylock. Could never get used to using it. I was told I am probably sewing too fast to concentrate on the sewing and using the knee lift at the same time, if that is possible. My hand thinks it has to reach for the presser foot lift. Mainly I use the automatic presser foot lift that is built in. The knee lift is a neat concept if you can get your knee and your brain working at the same time. I haven't been able to master that yet.

DITTO.....I have never gotten coordinated enough to use both on my Janome 6500. Have featherweights and 99k that I use a lot so I'm used to leaving the needle down and lifting the presser foot.:):)

jamsbuying 04-05-2012 07:43 AM

I use left foot for presser foot, right knee for knee lift.... that was the way I was taught when I bought my first machine with knee lift. However, I don't think they teach that way now. I remember how hard it was at first, but some 30 years later it is as natural as can be.

ghk1936 04-05-2012 07:46 AM

I have a Bernina and love the knee lift-use it and foot pedal with right leg. Not easy to go back to lifting presser foot on older Singer. I sewed on a Singer w/knee control and liked it also.

omaluvs2quilt 04-05-2012 07:56 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and love the knee lift! Right foot/Right knee : )

klgls 04-05-2012 09:10 AM

I just recently got a new Janome 6600 - love it and the knee lift. I use my right foot/right knee. However, I occasionally find myself using the knee lift to sew because I learned to sew on a machine that had a knee pressure for sewing. Funny how after 45 years - I'm reverting back to that.

quiltinggranny 04-05-2012 10:40 AM

I have the Bernina 440 also w/the knee lift. Love, love, love both and I don't seem to have the problem of the lift moving. I use my right foot and knee all the time.