Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Laminate vs. Vinyl In My New Sewing Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/laminate-vs-vinyl-my-new-sewing-room-t228014.html)

lalaland 08-15-2013 09:14 AM

Laminate vs. Vinyl In My New Sewing Room

In our new (to us) house I will have a 350 sq. ft. sewing studio, which currently has carpet in it. I want to replace the carpet but can't decide whether to go with a laminate or vinyl. It is not a basement room so moisture won't be a problem. I really like a vinyl I found, with a thick cushion backing, which would make it easier to walk and stand on because it's being laid on a cement foundation, but I'm concerned about the durability.

Please share your experiences with laminate and vinyl flooring.

GrannieAnnie 08-15-2013 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by lalaland (Post 6235756)
In our new (to us) house I will have a 350 sq. ft. sewing studio, which currently has carpet in it. I want to replace the carpet but can't decide whether to go with a laminate or vinyl. It is not a basement room so moisture won't be a problem. I really like a vinyl I found, with a thick cushion backing, which would make it easier to walk and stand on because it's being laid on a cement foundation, but I'm concerned about the durability.

Please share your experiences with laminate and vinyl flooring.

How much rough treatment is the floor going to get--------will you be shoving tables around or moving chairs a lot. Laminate can chip and crack, but vinyl can get cut.

If durability is the issue, chose laminate.
If warmth and comfort is a big issue, maybe the vinyl is the best choice

auntpiggylpn 08-15-2013 09:25 AM

Ask your flooring guy!!!!

misseva 08-15-2013 09:28 AM

I have vinyl in my house and everything you set on it makes a mark. I was advised NOT to use a roll around chair on it but I am in my sewing room and you can see where I roll around.

jcrow 08-15-2013 09:29 AM

You might think about when or if you are going to sell the house, what would look better in a room - vinyl might look different in a room compared to laminate. I don't remember ever seeing vinyl in a room besides a kitchen, bathroom or laundry room. I could be wrong. But, you can always change it if you decide to sell.

I'm redoing our house in laminate, including my sewing room. I never thought of laminate in my sewing room. Now you've given me something to think about.

misseva 08-15-2013 09:36 AM

The vinyl in my house (replaced all the carpet) looks just like hardwood flooring. It even feels like wood boards. Many of my friends are surprised when I tell them it's vinyl instead of laminate or hardwood.

tessagin 08-15-2013 09:37 AM

actually you should be ok with either one as long as they are of good quality. Will depend on how much traffic the room will get. Also use the Swiffer or dust mop often. What damages the flooring is when dirt gets ground in often and the floor is not maintained. using a damp/near dry mop helps pick up the dirt. The micro-fiber mops are great.

WTxRed 08-15-2013 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by misseva (Post 6235805)
The vinyl in my house (replaced all the carpet) looks just like hardwood flooring. It even feels like wood boards. Many of my friends are surprised when I tell them it's vinyl instead of laminate or hardwood.

We just had Congoleum DuraPlank II - which is marketed as a luxury Vinyl Plank - put down in family room, halls, one bath room. It too looks like hardwood plank, but MUCH more durable and you don't have to refinish it AND it is water resistant, has a ScotchGard protector that eliminates the need for chemical cleaners or polishes - simply wipe or damp mop with water to clean. It has a warranty that covers for a lifelong period that it will not wear out, stain, fade & / or be free of manufacturing defects. I know I sound like a commercial for them. But it was the PERFECT fit for our house, dogs, cats, and lifestyle. Google Congoleum DuraPlank II - and give it a look! Yes, they recommend you don't run wheeled furniture over it - but I didn't before.
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
<tbody>[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
I say talk to your flooring shops - read, research - and figure out your budget for your flooring! Then sit back and enjoy it!

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Country1 08-15-2013 11:51 AM

We have laminate and tile in our house. When we bought it they had just put new carpet in the 3 bedrooms. As soon as we got settled in and the cash flow, we took the carpet out and put laminate like what was in the other rooms and hallway. Best money ever spent! We have 3 dogs now, but used to have 5, all indoors. Whew, the laminate, is soooo much easier to keep clean. I have it in both of our hobby rooms, doesn't bother my feet or legs when I use my Mid-arm on the frame or if I am standing alot cutting. Doesn't peel up like some vinyl I've had in the past.
One more good thing is our fur-babies claws don't make scratches on the laminate. It also comes with a really long and great warranty. It is very durable. Good Luck!
MY vote is for the laminate!

Peckish 08-15-2013 12:30 PM

I have an office chair I like to wheel around in, so my first concern would be what would best stand up to that kind of use and abuse. My second priority would be what's most comfortable to stand on, but I can also lay down those foam mats in front of my cutting board and longarm.