Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Laminate vs. Vinyl In My New Sewing Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/laminate-vs-vinyl-my-new-sewing-room-t228014.html)

KSellers 08-15-2013 12:30 PM

We put the vinyl plank in our son's room. He is in a wheelchair,and requires a toilet/shower chair. It has held up really well -- handles wheels, water from shower chair, and wheelchair and hospital bed rolling with no problems. It has been in for 5 years (on cement base) and still looks like new. And the good thing about it -- if a piece should be "injured" you can use a blow dryer to heat up the plank that has the problem, lift it off and put down another. We have not had to do that, but when we first bought it that was a positive for us. I'd love to have it in my sewing room!

charsuewilson 08-15-2013 12:33 PM

If the only choices are vinyl or laminate, I would choose vinyl. Laminate, if damaged, cannot be sanded down and refinished like hardwood can. My personal choice would be hardwood.
Sue

mamaw 08-15-2013 12:58 PM

We replaced the floors in our bedrooms, kitchen, and dining room in 2012. After a few consultations at different flooring centers, the concensus was that vinyl will outlast the laminates so we went with nice cushioned vinyls and love them. The kitchen/dining room look like tile and the bedrooms look like wood. I have an office chair on wheels that goes from my computer to the sewing machine and no permanent markings on the floor. Because of the cushion you can see indentations when something is moved but it goes away. Hope this helps.
By the way.....mine is Congoleum

GrannieAnnie 08-15-2013 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Country1 (Post 6235911)
We have laminate and tile in our house. When we bought it they had just put new carpet in the 3 bedrooms. As soon as we got settled in and the cash flow, we took the carpet out and put laminate like what was in the other rooms and hallway. Best money ever spent! We have 3 dogs now, but used to have 5, all indoors. Whew, the laminate, is soooo much easier to keep clean. I have it in both of our hobby rooms, doesn't bother my feet or legs when I use my Mid-arm on the frame or if I am standing alot cutting. Doesn't peel up like some vinyl I've had in the past.
One more good thing is our fur-babies claws don't make scratches on the laminate. It also comes with a really long and great warranty. It is very durable. Good Luck!
MY vote is for the laminate!

True about the claw marks, but it's funnier than all get out to watch them take off in a hurry. Looks just like the road runner taking off--------spinning legs and all.

Jim's Gem 08-15-2013 03:56 PM

I have a really high quality vinyl flooring in my sewing room, kitchen, laundry and bath. I love it!! It looks like wood, does not dent, or scratch easily and I have never seen a mark from the 3 roller chairs that are located in the sewing room. I have even had a house appraiser knock on it and write "wood floors" on the appraisal that he was doing. It is from Amtico, and we have the commercial grade.

SewQuiltsSally 08-15-2013 04:24 PM

We have quite a bit of laminate & I hate it. Will be replacing it soon. I'd suggest you go with the vinyl as the laminate is difficult to keep clean & looses its pretty shine very quickly. After the fact we were told that only clear water should be used to clean laminate.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-15-2013 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by misseva (Post 6235805)
The vinyl in my house (replaced all the carpet) looks just like hardwood flooring. It even feels like wood boards. Many of my friends are surprised when I tell them it's vinyl instead of laminate or hardwood.

I had that for about 15 years in my dining room and kitchen. It was awesome. No one ever realized it wasn't wood until I told them.

Some laminate can be ruined just be spills that are not cleaned up properly or by overly wet mopping. If you go with laminate, make sure you understand the care instructions. I have a friend who made a very expensive mistake with it.

Treasureit 08-15-2013 05:56 PM

I have laminate in several rooms in our home...some for about 15 years and it still looks great. The oldest is in our entry and kitchen...so it gets a ton of traffic. There is an underlayment (sp?) that helps with sound and hardness...so they say. :)

earthwalker 08-15-2013 06:02 PM

Hardwood is great if it is "in budget" but tile or industrial strength vinyl would be my choice. For some years my sister lived with painted concrete while she saved for floorcoverings and that stood up to wear surprisingly well. Some laminate wears well, but a lot of the cheaper ones do lift and scratch easily. Do lots of research and good luck.

coopah 08-15-2013 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by misseva (Post 6235805)
The vinyl in my house (replaced all the carpet) looks just like hardwood flooring. It even feels like wood boards. Many of my friends are surprised when I tell them it's vinyl instead of laminate or hardwood.

I have that same thing. Cleaning is so easy! We had hardwood in our previous home...both are fine by me, but chose the vinyl for retirement living. I've rolled my sewing chair around for three years and nothing shows except all the dust bunnies! :-)