Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Learned a lesson...maybe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/learned-lesson-maybe-t192195.html)

ArtsyOne 06-19-2012 12:15 PM

I make all of the blocks and then play with the arrangement - for me that's the fun part of making a quilt. Sometimes I take photos, cut the photos apart and play with the paper blocks. Have fun!

orangeroom 06-19-2012 12:29 PM

I don't sew completed blocks until I have all blocks completed. There are times I have one block that's too small. Or I don't want to end up having the same fabric touch from 2 different blocks. Sometimes I get sew happy and end up having a lot more extra and make the quilt bigger and have enough left over for a pillow case. Usually the smaller ones end up there. That's ok though, because I'm not keeping it...out of sight, out of mind.

I was taught in a quilting 101 course to sew my quilts in columns. I've recently changed my ways because of the quilters on this board. If instead you sew a quilt in 4 sections; right upper corner, left upper corner, right lower corner, and left lower corner, you will only have to sew one long seam versus many long ones when sewing one column to the next and so on. Get it? If you sew the corners together first, then sew the top pieces together, and the bottom corners together...then you only have one long seam (the width seam) to sew when joining the top and the bottom together!!! Short seams go quicker!!! I promise!

JustAbitCrazy 06-19-2012 01:37 PM

I never sew blocks together until they are all done. I think you'd be wise to mend :p your ways! (pun!)

hopetoquilt 06-19-2012 05:41 PM

Right idea, wrong lesson. Lesson you should have learned is always buy a ton of fabric :). You never know when you will need more.

Suze9395 06-19-2012 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt (Post 5301805)
Right idea, wrong lesson. Lesson you should have learned is always buy a ton of fabric :). You never know when you will need more.

Hehehe!! I agree!!

alisonquilts 06-19-2012 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Suze9395 (Post 5301899)
Hehehe!! I agree!!

Me too!!
Alison

wattse2000 06-19-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by beatys9 (Post 5300730)
I notice from posts by board members that quilters often make all the blocks for a finished quilt & then play with how to arrange the blocks as sometimes there are many options resulting in very different looks. I, on the other hand, just can't wait to see what it will look like so I tend to put together the blocks as I finish a row so I can see what I've got. Unfortunately, I was doing this with my Hunter Star quilt that I started a couple of weeks ago even though I knew I would likely run out of one of the fabrics... Well, it happened. I ran out & don't have enough to finish with the arrangement I committed to by sewing together what I had done! So, I spent last evening separating the blocks and looking at new arrangements with an added coordinating boarder to fill it out. Did I learn something? Maybe, but I still really like seeing what I've got so far & might do it again :) Does anyone else put together their blocks as they go or is this just a sign of my inexperience?

I do the same thing sometimes. Too anxious to see the finished priduct i guess. I cant wait to start on a project then once j start i cant wait to finish it! The other issue is that i get tired of doing the same thing over and over again (i.e.piecing blocks) and need to switch it up by sewing rows.

GrannieAnnie 06-19-2012 09:23 PM

When I start blocks, I know how I want them arranged, unless I've got an assortment of colors in a block. Then I usually sort them out so I don't have too many similar colors too close together. But I seldom sew them together until all are done.

quilterella 06-20-2012 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by beatys9 (Post 5300730)
I notice from posts by board members that quilters often make all the blocks for a finished quilt & then play with how to arrange the blocks as sometimes there are many options resulting in very different looks. I, on the other hand, just can't wait to see what it will look like so I tend to put together the blocks as I finish a row so I can see what I've got. Unfortunately, I was doing this with my Hunter Star quilt that I started a couple of weeks ago even though I knew I would likely run out of one of the fabrics... Well, it happened. I ran out & don't have enough to finish with the arrangement I committed to by sewing together what I had done! So, I spent last evening separating the blocks and looking at new arrangements with an added coordinating boarder to fill it out. Did I learn something? Maybe, but I still really like seeing what I've got so far & might do it again :) Does anyone else put together their blocks as they go or is this just a sign of my inexperience?

I used to sew my rows together as I had enough so I could see the pattern, but not any more. I haven't bought fabric in almost 3 years and rely totally on my stash. Well as you guessed, I run out of colour choices usually when I only have 3 or 4 blocks left to go and have to make an alternate choice. So now I try to gauge how much fabric I need when I start a project, but, I wait until all blocks are made before I sew them all together so that the added fabric blocks aren't all in the last row. You would think we would learn by our mistakes...NOT! I just say " I meant to do that"

joyce888 06-20-2012 02:44 AM

I use a design wall instead of sewing blocks together as I go.