Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Learned a lesson...maybe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/learned-lesson-maybe-t192195.html)

patdesign 06-20-2012 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5300769)
Never. I always complete all my blocks and then play. Rearranging them countless times before committing. My guest bed is my design board.

Same for me I always change my mind and I dont want to run out of fabric, so I cut everything FIRST to make sure there will be enough, or I do alot oif MATH UGGGH!

spokanequilter 06-20-2012 07:06 AM

Well I learned something from this post - I love orangeroom's method of assembling the quilt by sections rather than by rows or columns. Why didn't I know that before now??

Also a good lesson here on buying extra fabric. I always buy at least a quarter of a yard more than the pattern calls for to cover myself in case of cutting errors or whatever. And whatever is left over goes in my stash.. Too often I have run out of fabric before finishing and haven't been able to find any more.

sunny42539 06-20-2012 08:19 AM

I too am in a hurry to see what my quilt top will look like. I put mine together as I sew them but of course I am going by a set pattern. I don't make up my patterns, just do the ones I see that I think I might like.

Morag 06-20-2012 08:24 AM

I put my finished blocks on my design wall before I sew them..I look at them daily sometimes for a week or two .....let's me see how they look before completing the top..

carolynjo 06-20-2012 08:27 AM

I, too use a design wall to audition the arrangement before I sew the entire top together. I then number the rows before I start to sew.

jcrow 06-20-2012 08:30 AM

I, too, make all my blocks and then put them on the floor and play with them. I forgot all about my design board until I read this thread. Ughhh! I am so forgetful. It's one of those pull down ones, so it's easy to forget I have it. I need to use that!

Gabrielle's Mimi 06-20-2012 09:34 AM

Here is an inexpensive way to make a design wall: get a flannel-backed plastic table cloth at the dollar store (it is also sold by the yard at JoAnn's) and use old sewing machine needles to tack to the wall. When quilt design is as desired, I take my "design wall" down and place it on the floor next to my sewing machine for piecing. I have also used the "design wall" as a quick, secure way to transport pieces I am working on.

rusty quilter 06-20-2012 01:20 PM

I make my squares first, then arrange them on the guest bed. For me it is better than a design board because I can see how it fits the actual bed.

beatys9 06-20-2012 04:07 PM

Hehe! Rarely have I been advised that I do not buy enough fabric...

With this particular group, I purchased these fabrics years ago as I thought they were pretty - had no plan or pattern or quilt in mind so was just guessing. Pulled them out of a box a couple of months ago & decided to use them.

That's sort of how it goes in my basement... Like a archeological dig; it's fun place to browse around (but terribly disorganized). As I find fabrics, they are either 'time to sell', 'return to the box for later inspiration' or 'let's make something with this'!

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt (Post 5301805)
Right idea, wrong lesson. Lesson you should have learned is always buy a ton of fabric :). You never know when you will need more.

nstitches4u 06-20-2012 04:48 PM

I always finish all the blocks first. The main reason is that this is the part of quilting that I enjoy the most. I have the bad habit of finishing the blocks for one quilt and starting blocks for another quilt before I put the first one together. I hate to admit how many completed sets of blocks I have waiting to be put together and quilted. lol