Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Learned a lesson...maybe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/learned-lesson-maybe-t192195.html)

emlee51 06-20-2012 07:12 PM

I always complete all my blocks, put them on my design wall, and play. My camera is a good tool, and I take lots of pictures. Then I sew...

MimiBug123 06-20-2012 09:04 PM

I am like nstitches! I am sooo bad about having several sets of blocks going at the same time. I currently have 4 different sets on my design wall. There is 1 complete set, and 1 almost finished set and 2 beginning sets. I love the process of thinking about it as I go and enjoy seeing more than one quilt in progress. After arranging and rearranging the completed set (many times) I am ready to sew them together. I just had to look at it for a couple of weeks to get the colored blocks in the right place!

burchquilts 06-20-2012 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by kountrykreation (Post 5300974)
I always put my blocks together as I go, but I usually have already decided what I want to construct before I ever start. Maybe I'll try the other way some day?

Me, too. I'm too much of a control freak to have blocks running around free... LOL! But I also have the quilt all worked out in my head before I start. Maybe someday I'll let loose & wing it...

clsurz 06-21-2012 02:59 AM

I never do since I'm a free-style quilter. I cut fabric, than I create blocks, and sometimes I cut those blocks, sometimes I don't, than I start placing it on my wall. More often then not I move them many times to see several different looks. I take pictures of each look then decide which I like best and end up putting it together with what I chose.

Patquiltz 06-21-2012 03:05 AM

I always put my blocks together as I complete each one, mainly because I have a mental picture of what it is to look like when I begin. The only time I ever played with the blocks first was when I made a Strips and Curves quilt.

lynnsv 06-21-2012 03:08 AM

I wait until I have all my blocks made, then lay them out. If I can walk by them 3 times and not change anything, I'm ready to sew them together!

leighway 06-21-2012 03:19 AM

I find I can't really "see" the block until it's on a design wall staring back at me. That's why I wait until I have all the blocks done, to put it together. You can make a really cool design wall out of a sheet of insulation foam and pin white washed flannel in place tightly around the board.
I also like the fact that the board is movable, so I'll put the pieces of blocks I'm working on onto my DB and move it close to my machine. That way I can reach up and take down pieces as I need them. The inherently important part of a lesson is that we learn something...don't you think?

georgiamarbles 06-21-2012 04:42 AM

LOL I guess i am the crazy one here...not only do i sew as I go...I cut as i go too!! i love to just start with a group of fabrics and cut strips, squares, and triangles..then i make strips ...then sew the strips together...sometimes adding plain strips in between...my grand kids( i have 6 of them ) all have several of my crazy quilts!

georgiamarbles 06-21-2012 04:43 AM

crazy quilts

LOL I guess i am the crazy one here...not only do i sew as I go...I cut as i go too!! i love to just start with a group of fabrics and cut strips, squares, and triangles..then i make strips ...then sew the strips together...sometimes adding plain strips in between...my grand kids( i have 6 of them ) all have several of my crazy quilts!

georgiamarbles 06-21-2012 05:04 AM

pics of jackson's racecar quilt are posted on the quilters board facebook page ( I cannot figure out how to post a pic here) sosorry.