Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Learned a lesson...maybe

Learned a lesson...maybe

I notice from posts by board members that quilters often make all the blocks for a finished quilt & then play with how to arrange the blocks as sometimes there are many options resulting in very different looks. I, on the other hand, just can't wait to see what it will look like so I tend to put together the blocks as I finish a row so I can see what I've got. Unfortunately, I was doing this with my Hunter Star quilt that I started a couple of weeks ago even though I knew I would likely run out of one of the fabrics... Well, it happened. I ran out & don't have enough to finish with the arrangement I committed to by sewing together what I had done! So, I spent last evening separating the blocks and looking at new arrangements with an added coordinating boarder to fill it out. Did I learn something? Maybe, but I still really like seeing what I've got so far & might do it again Does anyone else put together their blocks as they go or is this just a sign of my inexperience?
    Shannon

Never. I always complete all my blocks and then play. Rearranging them countless times before committing. My guest bed is my design board.

I don't find a need to do that with a design wall. you can see how it all looks without the commitment.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    I like to make my blocks and put them on my design wall. This way i can play and also make sure everything is where it is suppose to be. But-----i have also spent many an evening with my seam ripper. Just part of the fun.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    i never sew the blocks together until they are all done... too many things can go 'wrong' or i can change my mind
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    A camera is an excellent aid to memory. I take a photo of each arrangement choice as I tend to forgot what goes where and it also helps to show up design flaws. It's amazing what I fail to see until I look at the image.

You DID learn something. A lesson you will remember forever.

I always put the blocks together after playing with the arrangement. Even when the blocks are identical, I wait until they are completed before putting them together.

I always put my blocks together as I go, but I usually have already decided what I want to construct before I ever start. Maybe I'll try the other way some day?

I always play with layout after all blocks are complete

to make a design wall, I simply thumbtacked a queen-sized batt to the wall. I put the blocks there as I finish. I have also used a camera which was good as I saw a mistake in the photo that I missed in the blocks and it would have upset me to the point of unsewing if I'd noticed it later.

I make all of the blocks and then play with the arrangement - for me that's the fun part of making a quilt. Sometimes I take photos, cut the photos apart and play with the paper blocks. Have fun!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    I don't sew completed blocks until I have all blocks completed. There are times I have one block that's too small. Or I don't want to end up having the same fabric touch from 2 different blocks. Sometimes I get sew happy and end up having a lot more extra and make the quilt bigger and have enough left over for a pillow case. Usually the smaller ones end up there. That's ok though, because I'm not keeping it...out of sight, out of mind.

I was taught in a quilting 101 course to sew my quilts in columns. I've recently changed my ways because of the quilters on this board. If instead you sew a quilt in 4 sections; right upper corner, left upper corner, right lower corner, and left lower corner, you will only have to sew one long seam versus many long ones when sewing one column to the next and so on. Get it? If you sew the corners together first, then sew the top pieces together, and the bottom corners together...then you only have one long seam (the width seam) to sew when joining the top and the bottom together!!! Short seams go quicker!!! I promise!
    Go forth and sew!

I never sew blocks together until they are all done. I think you'd be wise to mend your ways! (pun!)

Right idea, wrong lesson. Lesson you should have learned is always buy a ton of fabric . You never know when you will need more.

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    Right idea, wrong lesson. Lesson you should have learned is always buy a ton of fabric . You never know when you will need more.
    Hehehe!! I agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
    Hehehe!! I agree!!
    Me too!!
    Alison

Quote Originally Posted by beatys9 View Post
    I notice from posts by board members that quilters often make all the blocks for a finished quilt & then play with how to arrange the blocks as sometimes there are many options resulting in very different looks. I, on the other hand, just can't wait to see what it will look like so I tend to put together the blocks as I finish a row so I can see what I've got. Unfortunately, I was doing this with my Hunter Star quilt that I started a couple of weeks ago even though I knew I would likely run out of one of the fabrics... Well, it happened. I ran out & don't have enough to finish with the arrangement I committed to by sewing together what I had done! So, I spent last evening separating the blocks and looking at new arrangements with an added coordinating boarder to fill it out. Did I learn something? Maybe, but I still really like seeing what I've got so far & might do it again Does anyone else put together their blocks as they go or is this just a sign of my inexperience?
    I do the same thing sometimes. Too anxious to see the finished priduct i guess. I cant wait to start on a project then once j start i cant wait to finish it! The other issue is that i get tired of doing the same thing over and over again (i.e.piecing blocks) and need to switch it up by sewing rows.

When I start blocks, I know how I want them arranged, unless I've got an assortment of colors in a block. Then I usually sort them out so I don't have too many similar colors too close together. But I seldom sew them together until all are done.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beatys9 View Post
    I used to sew my rows together as I had enough so I could see the pattern, but not any more. I haven't bought fabric in almost 3 years and rely totally on my stash. Well as you guessed, I run out of colour choices usually when I only have 3 or 4 blocks left to go and have to make an alternate choice. So now I try to gauge how much fabric I need when I start a project, but, I wait until all blocks are made before I sew them all together so that the added fabric blocks aren't all in the last row. You would think we would learn by our mistakes...NOT! I just say " I meant to do that"
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

Blog Entries
    I use a design wall instead of sewing blocks together as I go.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I never thought of that. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Dolly

I was taught in a quilting 101 course to sew my quilts in columns. I've recently changed my ways because of the quilters on this board. If instead you sew a quilt in 4 sections; right upper corner, left upper corner, right lower corner, and left lower corner, you will only have to sew one long seam versus many long ones when sewing one column to the next and so on. Get it? If you sew the corners together first, then sew the top pieces together, and the bottom corners together...then you only have one long seam (the width seam) to sew when joining the top and the bottom together!!! Short seams go quicker!!! I promise![/QUOTE]

Blog Entries
    I like to lay the blocks out and take a photo -- it's amazing how the color values show up in a photograph and I've often made changes once I've looked at the photo.

Blog Entries
    thank you beatys9 for posting this question. I am at my first quilt and it all started with 3 orphan blocks and a small plan, but my quilt kept growing bigger and bigger. I fudged it as I went along, sewing rows and/or columns .... lesson learned! I know now, that I need a plan to make sure I have enough fabric etc...
    thank you all ladies for your very informative input!

If that is how you like to assemble a quilt and makes you happy then that is the best way for you to go. Perhaps you could try instead of sewing the blocks together just pinning them. You will get the same effect and yet can play with them easily when you have all the blocks complete. Always stick with what works best FOR YOU just fiddle till you get your method right.
    Merivale
    Australia.

I also sew the blocks first and put them on my design wall and go from there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast