Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learned a lesson...maybe >

Learned a lesson...maybe

Learned a lesson...maybe

Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 AM

I never thought of that. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dolly

I was taught in a quilting 101 course to sew my quilts in columns. I've recently changed my ways because of the quilters on this board. If instead you sew a quilt in 4 sections; right upper corner, left upper corner, right lower corner, and left lower corner, you will only have to sew one long seam versus many long ones when sewing one column to the next and so on. Get it? If you sew the corners together first, then sew the top pieces together, and the bottom corners together...then you only have one long seam (the width seam) to sew when joining the top and the bottom together!!! Short seams go quicker!!! I promise![/QUOTE]
Old 06-20-2012, 03:05 AM

I like to lay the blocks out and take a photo -- it's amazing how the color values show up in a photograph and I've often made changes once I've looked at the photo.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:18 AM

thank you beatys9 for posting this question. I am at my first quilt and it all started with 3 orphan blocks and a small plan, but my quilt kept growing bigger and bigger. I fudged it as I went along, sewing rows and/or columns .... lesson learned! I know now, that I need a plan to make sure I have enough fabric etc...
thank you all ladies for your very informative input!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:19 AM

If that is how you like to assemble a quilt and makes you happy then that is the best way for you to go. Perhaps you could try instead of sewing the blocks together just pinning them. You will get the same effect and yet can play with them easily when you have all the blocks complete. Always stick with what works best FOR YOU just fiddle till you get your method right.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 AM

I also sew the blocks first and put them on my design wall and go from there.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Suzan88 View Post
A camera is an excellent aid to memory. I take a photo of each arrangement choice as I tend to forgot what goes where and it also helps to show up design flaws. It's amazing what I fail to see until I look at the image.
Hahaha - I thought I was the only one who had to take a photo first. Somehow I can "see" better when the camera looks for me...
Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

I agree with one that answered.. I too use my camera.. nice way to get "third" eye with color play and matching directions ! sometimes I will flip a direction if sewing or piecing blocks together before playing with them.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:37 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Originally Posted by Sewhappytoquilt View Post
Hahaha - I thought I was the only one who had to take a photo first. Somehow I can "see" better when the camera looks for me...
plus, a great record as to what bock goes where !!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 AM

I agree with many here I don't sew all my blocks together, but i do love seeing how my quilt it coming along as I sew too. So what I will do it lay out the blocks on my king size bed as I am sewing and I can see it coming together without having to worry about undoing anything. It's the best of both worlds!! I have one quilt that I am DYING to sew together. it is a long term quilt that I have been working on for 2 years now, but I know it's not a good idea to sew the rows until all the blocks are done, so every so often I will pull out the finished blocks and put them next to each other on the bed and pat myself on the back. hehehe

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 06-20-2012, 04:22 AM

Having up to now only worked on one large quilt, I knew what my design was going to be so I completed all of the blocks and then sewed the blocks into rows in order to complete the top. However, once I had a few blocks done I laid them out on a flat surface to see if indeed the blocks and the arrangement was having the desired effect.

I do like the response to purchase extra material prior to getting started. This board is so helpful. Thanks.