Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Learned a lesson...maybe

I make a lot of samplers, so don't put them together as I go. I also quilt my quilts in sections, another reason to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    Right idea, wrong lesson. Lesson you should have learned is always buy a ton of fabric . You never know when you will need more.
    Definitely!!! How else do you get scraps?
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I always complete my blocks then put them together for the reason you just had, run out of fabric.. saves alot of stress.
    Good luck with your quilt.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

If you are careful when placing your blocks on a design board you come very close to seeing what a row will look like without committing with sewn seams. Either way, the object is to enjoy and have fun so if sewing and ripping is fun then who's to say? There is no wrong way in quilting. Just the fun way.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

I don't have a design wall, but I do have a huge kitchen counter, so I just lay the blocks out to see if I like the arrangement. I agree the seam ripper is just part of sewing. In fact, Mr. Clover gets really hot and bothered at times.

Ok, it's a private joke, but my favorite seam ripper is a Clover and sometimes it seems I use it more than the sewing machine!

When I first started sewing a couple of years ago I would hate to use the seam ripper, now I realize it is just par for the course. I also had a really hard time with it, eyes not so great. Hubby told me if I slide the seam ripper through it will cut the thread. I was just plucking them out, lol!

Sorry you had to go through all that!
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emlee51 View Post
    I always complete all my blocks, put them on my design wall, and play. My camera is a good tool, and I take lots of pictures. Then I sew...
    I like the camera as a tool too, and I also sometimes use my binoculars backwards to see the quilt "from afar" It's sort of another way to get perspective on the way it will look. When I first started quilting, I had some very specific things in mind, but was often surprised at the new pattern formations that took place when I started putting the blocks together as a whole. Another reason to wait and "play" and see what happens!

Most of all, have fun!!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Blog Entries
    I use my design wall ... I have found that I re-arrange blocks constantly... once I step back and look at what I thought would work... I change it... when I first started taking classes, this is what I was taught and love the idea... my projects, to me, are much better doing this...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3