Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lemoyne star (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lemoyne-star-t236520.html)

RainyBC 12-11-2013 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this is the LeMoyne star and I used all half square triangles - easy for a beginner needing practice with hst's.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451370[/ATTACH]

Feathers-N-Fur 12-12-2013 08:13 AM

If you go to Quilt In a Day, she has a video in Victory Quilts using just a regular 6x24 ruler. Directions are in the book Victory Quilts.

quiltingeileen 12-12-2013 08:36 AM

I used the Deb Tucker ruler and really liked it. I also like the fact she has the how to video on her website. The ruler makes several size stars from small to large. The stars do come out super nice. Unless I know I will get a lot of use from a ruler I don't usually buy one. I know I will use this ruler again because I love the pattern.

carslo 12-12-2013 09:51 AM

I have the Deb Tucker template and it worked exceptional well for the LeMoyne Star quilts I have made.

NJ Quilter 12-12-2013 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 6451584)
I don't use templates for a lemoyne star. I cut strips, and use the 45 degree line on my rulr to cut the diamonds.

Ditto here. And it was one of the early quilts I made. You will probably have to make a correction cut every few cuts on the 45 but still easier/cheaper than buying templates.

tbumgarn 12-13-2013 05:23 AM

I used a paper piece template. The diamond template I have doesn't make the ends look as nice at the paper piecing did. I made a king size from scrappys and set it together using a turquiose color my daughter requested. Plus I hand quilted the top because she wanted it done similar to the NonSuch patttern I did for her brother. If they were gifts for anyone else I would have sent them out to the long arm quilter I often use. Post a [icture when you finish it. They are a lovely quilt when done.

onthelake 12-13-2013 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by evelyn5269 (Post 6451472)
Has anyone done the Lemoyne Star and what template/ruler did you use. Deb Tucker has one and then Jan Krantz has a different ruler and puts them together a bit different. I love the lemoyne star. Anxious to hear your response or advice.
Thanks,
Evelyn in Sequim WA

As a beginning quilter, I was making a sampler quilt along with several others. One of the blocks was a Lemoyne Star block that everyone was having trouble with. I happened to go to a quilt show before I started my block and saw the Deb Tucker demonstration, using her Lemoyne Star Ruler. I bought the ruler, watched the video and made my block with no trouble. One quilter who had already "worn out and discarded" a block, borrowed the ruler and made a block with no trouble. The ruler and instructions included many different sizes. I LOVE it!!

Shorebird 12-13-2013 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by evelyn5269 (Post 6451472)
Has anyone done the Lemoyne Star and what template/ruler did you use. Deb Tucker has one and then Jan Krantz has a different ruler and puts them together a bit different. I love the lemoyne star. Anxious to hear your response or advice.
Thanks,
Evelyn in Sequim WA

I LOVE Deb Tucker's rulers for this!! very little waste and perfect matching...

Shorebird 12-13-2013 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by onthelake (Post 6454356)
As a beginning quilter, I was making a sampler quilt along with several others. One of the blocks was a Lemoyne Star block that everyone was having trouble with. I happened to go to a quilt show before I started my block and saw the Deb Tucker demonstration, using her Lemoyne Star Ruler. I bought the ruler, watched the video and made my block with no trouble. One quilter who had already "worn out and discarded" a block, borrowed the ruler and made a block with no trouble. The ruler and instructions included many different sizes. I LOVE it!!

ME TOO!! I am a BIG FAN of Deb Tucker's rulers………they make everything so much easier - and everything always matches up perfectly!

QM 12-13-2013 07:16 AM

The ruler method worked well for me, although I more often cheat with the HST method, which is definitely not a true Lemoyne.