Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Light Box (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/light-box-t227372.html)

Rhodim 08-06-2013 07:57 AM

Light Box

Suggestions on buying or making a great Light box for tracing?

Your thoughts are so appreciated.

Smiles

Rhodi

grammy Dwynn 08-06-2013 08:08 AM

I have used windows and my acrylic table (for my sewing machine) with a light underneath.

mckwilter 08-06-2013 08:09 AM

There are several ways you can make a light box. If you have a dining table that separates to insert leaves to make it bigger, pull the sides apart, place a piece of glass or plexiglass over the space and put a lamp underneath. This is good for larger designs. I have a square endtable that has a clear insert about 18"x18". I put a lamp underneath it. Or, take a clear plastic box and turn it upside down with a light inside it. With the new LED lights that don't generate heat, this is nice, because you can use a thin plastic box. I purchased one of the opaque white project boxes that are 13x13x2 from JoAnn's to make a traveling light box. I have all my marking tools, masking tape and the LED lights that are battery operated in it. Check out Harbor Freight for LED lights. I just bought several for $1.99 each that are 12-bulb lights and used AAA batteries.

MartiMorga 08-06-2013 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter (Post 6218515)
There are several ways you can make a light box. If you have a dining table that separates to insert leaves to make it bigger, pull the sides apart, place a piece of glass or plexiglass over the space and put a lamp underneath. This is good for larger designs. I have a square endtable that has a clear insert about 18"x18". I put a lamp underneath it. Or, take a clear plastic box and turn it upside down with a light inside it. With the new LED lights that don't generate heat, this is nice, because you can use a thin plastic box. I purchased one of the opaque white project boxes that are 13x13x2 from JoAnn's to make a traveling light box. I have all my marking tools, masking tape and the LED lights that are battery operated in it. Check out Harbor Freight for LED lights. I just bought several for $1.99 each that are 12-bulb lights and used AAA batteries.

Wow great information - using a clear plastic box and LED Lights. Thanks for sharing this!!!

Rhodim 08-06-2013 08:21 AM

The portable idea is great!

Misty's Mom 08-06-2013 08:25 AM

Both ideas are really great! Why can't I think up some of this stuff? So glad for the board :)

Tartan 08-06-2013 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bellaboo posted this last year and I ran to Walmart toy department to get mine. Unless you need a big light box, this has a surface about 8x11 and I LOVE it. I use it for tracing Redwork patterns onto muslin. I have a design on white paper in sharpie with a thick piece of muslin on top and I think you can see how great it works. For $25 in Canada, it works perfect!

BellaBoo 08-06-2013 11:22 AM

Walmart here was sold out of every one after my show and tell at guild meeting showing mine. LOL. It's lightweight, no cords, and the LED lights are super bright. It's made for kids so it is sturdy. It was $20. Some posters found them on clearance for $10.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-06-2013 11:48 AM

I have old hobnail lamps with glass shades in my bedroom. For smallish designs, I just slap a 16 inch square up ruler on top of a lamp and start tracing.

grammy of 6 08-06-2013 12:08 PM

I have a glass top coffee table. I just put a lamp under the glass and presto, a light box.