Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Light Box

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    76
    Blog Entries
    11

    Question Light Box

    Suggestions on buying or making a great Light box for tracing?

    Your thoughts are so appreciated.

    Smiles

    Rhodi

  2. #2
    Super Member grammy Dwynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,038
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have used windows and my acrylic table (for my sewing machine) with a light underneath.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

    https://picasaweb.google.com/home

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,197
    There are several ways you can make a light box. If you have a dining table that separates to insert leaves to make it bigger, pull the sides apart, place a piece of glass or plexiglass over the space and put a lamp underneath. This is good for larger designs. I have a square endtable that has a clear insert about 18"x18". I put a lamp underneath it. Or, take a clear plastic box and turn it upside down with a light inside it. With the new LED lights that don't generate heat, this is nice, because you can use a thin plastic box. I purchased one of the opaque white project boxes that are 13x13x2 from JoAnn's to make a traveling light box. I have all my marking tools, masking tape and the LED lights that are battery operated in it. Check out Harbor Freight for LED lights. I just bought several for $1.99 each that are 12-bulb lights and used AAA batteries.

  4. #4
    Super Member MartiMorga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Springville, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,119
    Quote Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
    There are several ways you can make a light box. If you have a dining table that separates to insert leaves to make it bigger, pull the sides apart, place a piece of glass or plexiglass over the space and put a lamp underneath. This is good for larger designs. I have a square endtable that has a clear insert about 18"x18". I put a lamp underneath it. Or, take a clear plastic box and turn it upside down with a light inside it. With the new LED lights that don't generate heat, this is nice, because you can use a thin plastic box. I purchased one of the opaque white project boxes that are 13x13x2 from JoAnn's to make a traveling light box. I have all my marking tools, masking tape and the LED lights that are battery operated in it. Check out Harbor Freight for LED lights. I just bought several for $1.99 each that are 12-bulb lights and used AAA batteries.
    Wow great information - using a clear plastic box and LED Lights. Thanks for sharing this!!!
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    76
    Blog Entries
    11
    The portable idea is great!

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,642
    Both ideas are really great! Why can't I think up some of this stuff? So glad for the board

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,406
    Bellaboo posted this last year and I ran to Walmart toy department to get mine. Unless you need a big light box, this has a surface about 8x11 and I LOVE it. I use it for tracing Redwork patterns onto muslin. I have a design on white paper in sharpie with a thick piece of muslin on top and I think you can see how great it works. For $25 in Canada, it works perfect!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,658
    Blog Entries
    2
    Walmart here was sold out of every one after my show and tell at guild meeting showing mine. LOL. It's lightweight, no cords, and the LED lights are super bright. It's made for kids so it is sturdy. It was $20. Some posters found them on clearance for $10.
    Got fabric?

  9. #9
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,021
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have old hobnail lamps with glass shades in my bedroom. For smallish designs, I just slap a 16 inch square up ruler on top of a lamp and start tracing.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    770
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have a glass top coffee table. I just put a lamp under the glass and presto, a light box.

  11. #11
    Senior Member EdieClay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ten Mile, Tennessee
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Walmart here was sold out of every one after my show and tell at guild meeting showing mine. LOL. It's lightweight, no cords, and the LED lights are super bright. It's made for kids so it is sturdy. It was $20. Some posters found them on clearance for $10.
    What is the toy? I love this idea.

  12. #12
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,406
    Mine is in a green box that says LIGHT-UP TRACING PAD it is made by Crayola. It comes in pink or blue and comes with different colouring sheets for children.

  13. #13
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,658
    Blog Entries
    2
    http://www.crayola.com/products/ligh...g-pad-product/

    Stores that sell Crayon products should have it.
    Got fabric?

  14. #14
    yel
    yel is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    1000 miles from nowwhere
    Posts
    671
    Blog Entries
    1
    i use the window and mother natures light ...a little tape helps to

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cooperstown, NY
    Posts
    232
    Blog Entries
    2
    I use a window on top of a milk crate with an ott-light in the crate (the wire comes through one of the holes in the crate).

  16. #16
    Super Member nanacc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,497
    Blog Entries
    1
    The best one I ever had was a glass-top pedestal dining table! Perfect with my lamp on the floor under it.

  17. #17
    Super Member quiltjoey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,052
    I designed mine using Luan board and acryllic and my brother made it for me. It is portable...

  18. #18
    Super Member DOTTYMO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England Alton Towers
    Posts
    6,640
    Blog Entries
    1
    Look around at home. My first light box was made with books a torch and a large piece of thick plastic or a piece of glass on top. Moved to a coffee table and have a homemade one now. Due to a car injury the one place I can't use is a window. If you have a frame in the garden for growing seeds that also works. Think outside the box.
    Finished is better than a UFO

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    2,023
    Blog Entries
    14
    I have a light-box that was used for viewing camera slides.

  20. #20
    Junior Member christi54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    molalla, oregon
    Posts
    197
    I found a tutorial on how to make a lightbox for under $30.00. the website is Instructables.com they have all kinds of neat things to build for cheap prices. check it out, it looks really simple to make. hope this helps out

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,003
    Blog Entries
    1
    I made mine using a large piece 18"x18" of Plexiglas which I sit on the table using 4 vegetable cans in the corners. Then I found a sting of white icicle Christmas lights at thrift store for $2.50. Put lights under the Plexiglas and presto you have a beautiful light box.

  22. #22
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    9,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Bellaboo posted this last year and I ran to Walmart toy department to get mine. Unless you need a big light box, this has a surface about 8x11 and I LOVE it. I use it for tracing Redwork patterns onto muslin. I have a design on white paper in sharpie with a thick piece of muslin on top and I think you can see how great it works. For $25 in Canada, it works perfect!
    I just got mine today. Which is funny because I don't do appliqué or anything where I would need it. But I just cannot resist a gadget or a gizmo!

  23. #23
    Member azure68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27
    Thanks to this thread, I ran out to Walmart and got the Crayola one today for $20. I love that it's slim and portable, so I am able to take it to class with me.

  24. #24
    Power Poster mighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Upland CA
    Posts
    18,358
    I also have the one I purchased at walmart, works really great!

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    St Louis, mo
    Posts
    25
    I used a9x13 glass Pyrex cake pan that came with a lid. I bought stick on led light at Walmart that is battery powered with remote. Stuck the light to the lid and then you put it lid side down and have a nice glass surface to trace on. This was before hubby told me" I have an old X-ray box that u can have. Love it cause it is huge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.