Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Light Box

Blog Entries

Question Light Box

Suggestions on buying or making a great Light box for tracing?

Your thoughts are so appreciated.

Smiles

Rhodi

Blog Entries
    I have used windows and my acrylic table (for my sewing machine) with a light underneath.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

There are several ways you can make a light box. If you have a dining table that separates to insert leaves to make it bigger, pull the sides apart, place a piece of glass or plexiglass over the space and put a lamp underneath. This is good for larger designs. I have a square endtable that has a clear insert about 18"x18". I put a lamp underneath it. Or, take a clear plastic box and turn it upside down with a light inside it. With the new LED lights that don't generate heat, this is nice, because you can use a thin plastic box. I purchased one of the opaque white project boxes that are 13x13x2 from JoAnn's to make a traveling light box. I have all my marking tools, masking tape and the LED lights that are battery operated in it. Check out Harbor Freight for LED lights. I just bought several for $1.99 each that are 12-bulb lights and used AAA batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
    There are several ways you can make a light box. If you have a dining table that separates to insert leaves to make it bigger, pull the sides apart, place a piece of glass or plexiglass over the space and put a lamp underneath. This is good for larger designs. I have a square endtable that has a clear insert about 18"x18". I put a lamp underneath it. Or, take a clear plastic box and turn it upside down with a light inside it. With the new LED lights that don't generate heat, this is nice, because you can use a thin plastic box. I purchased one of the opaque white project boxes that are 13x13x2 from JoAnn's to make a traveling light box. I have all my marking tools, masking tape and the LED lights that are battery operated in it. Check out Harbor Freight for LED lights. I just bought several for $1.99 each that are 12-bulb lights and used AAA batteries.
    Wow great information - using a clear plastic box and LED Lights. Thanks for sharing this!!!
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Blog Entries
    The portable idea is great!

Both ideas are really great! Why can't I think up some of this stuff? So glad for the board

Power Poster
    Bellaboo posted this last year and I ran to Walmart toy department to get mine. Unless you need a big light box, this has a surface about 8x11 and I LOVE it. I use it for tracing Redwork patterns onto muslin. I have a design on white paper in sharpie with a thick piece of muslin on top and I think you can see how great it works. For $25 in Canada, it works perfect!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Walmart here was sold out of every one after my show and tell at guild meeting showing mine. LOL. It's lightweight, no cords, and the LED lights are super bright. It's made for kids so it is sturdy. It was $20. Some posters found them on clearance for $10.
    Got fabric?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have old hobnail lamps with glass shades in my bedroom. For smallish designs, I just slap a 16 inch square up ruler on top of a lamp and start tracing.

Blog Entries
    I have a glass top coffee table. I just put a lamp under the glass and presto, a light box.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Walmart here was sold out of every one after my show and tell at guild meeting showing mine. LOL. It's lightweight, no cords, and the LED lights are super bright. It's made for kids so it is sturdy. It was $20. Some posters found them on clearance for $10.
    What is the toy? I love this idea.

Power Poster
    Mine is in a green box that says LIGHT-UP TRACING PAD it is made by Crayola. It comes in pink or blue and comes with different colouring sheets for children.

Blog Entries
    http://www.crayola.com/products/ligh...g-pad-product/

Stores that sell Crayon products should have it.
    Got fabric?

yel
    Blog Entries
    i use the window and mother natures light ...a little tape helps to

Blog Entries
    I use a window on top of a milk crate with an ott-light in the crate (the wire comes through one of the holes in the crate).

Blog Entries
    The best one I ever had was a glass-top pedestal dining table! Perfect with my lamp on the floor under it.

I designed mine using Luan board and acryllic and my brother made it for me. It is portable...

Blog Entries
    Look around at home. My first light box was made with books a torch and a large piece of thick plastic or a piece of glass on top. Moved to a coffee table and have a homemade one now. Due to a car injury the one place I can't use is a window. If you have a frame in the garden for growing seeds that also works. Think outside the box.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I have a light-box that was used for viewing camera slides.

I found a tutorial on how to make a lightbox for under $30.00. the website is Instructables.com they have all kinds of neat things to build for cheap prices. check it out, it looks really simple to make. hope this helps out

Blog Entries
    I made mine using a large piece 18"x18" of Plexiglas which I sit on the table using 4 vegetable cans in the corners. Then I found a sting of white icicle Christmas lights at thrift store for $2.50. Put lights under the Plexiglas and presto you have a beautiful light box.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Bellaboo posted this last year and I ran to Walmart toy department to get mine. Unless you need a big light box, this has a surface about 8x11 and I LOVE it. I use it for tracing Redwork patterns onto muslin. I have a design on white paper in sharpie with a thick piece of muslin on top and I think you can see how great it works. For $25 in Canada, it works perfect!
    I just got mine today. Which is funny because I don't do appliqué or anything where I would need it. But I just cannot resist a gadget or a gizmo!

Thanks to this thread, I ran out to Walmart and got the Crayola one today for $20. I love that it's slim and portable, so I am able to take it to class with me.

I also have the one I purchased at walmart, works really great!

I used a9x13 glass Pyrex cake pan that came with a lid. I bought stick on led light at Walmart that is battery powered with remote. Stuck the light to the lid and then you put it lid side down and have a nice glass surface to trace on. This was before hubby told me" I have an old X-ray box that u can have. Love it cause it is huge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast