Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   looking for super simple place mats to make (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-super-simple-place-mats-make-t136665.html)

QuiltE 07-10-2011 06:22 PM

Simple to me would be to do strip quilted mats with a traditional binding.

They're easy-peasy and look oh so showy once done.

Jill 07-10-2011 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of a set of very simple and easy scrappy placemats I made last year. I also made some matching sets of the same design but don't have pictures of them.

Scrappy Placemats
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224650[/ATTACH]

blueangel 07-10-2011 07:47 PM

Those are easy and very beautiful.

bobbie1 07-11-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
Here's a picture of a set of very simple and easy scrappy placemats I made last year. I also made some matching sets of the same design but don't have pictures of them.

Those are lovely. Inspires me to try this pattern.

kriscraft99 07-11-2011 06:22 AM

oh Jill - I love these!!

I'm just horrible at binding though.

QuiltE 07-11-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99

It's really not that hard and if you don't practice, no you'll never learn. It's a good place to practice ... and makes for such a tidy finish!!

sparkys_mom 07-11-2011 08:04 AM

oh Jill - I love these!!

Sounds like a good place to practice! lol

jljack 07-11-2011 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of a table runner and placemats I made recently. The center of the placemats is 4" squares, 1-1/2" strips all around, then 1-1/2" strips top and bottom, 2-1/2" strips on sides to make it wider, then binding sewed on back, pulled to front and decorative stitch around the front.

kriscraft99 07-16-2011 05:07 AM

Purplemem - are these flying geese? I love this!!

Originally Posted by purplemem

purplemem - do you have any pictures? I'm a visual type of person and these sound perfect! I'd love to see some you made.

Originally Posted by purplemem
This is what I do for place mats, and yes, I birth them too.

I make any 12 inch block I like. Then I add a one -two inch border all around the block. Then I add a pieced border on the outside on the sides of flying geese or something eye catching. The place mat ends up being (with 1 inch top/bottom and 1 +2 on the sides) 13 1/2 by 17, the size of most place mats.

I sometimes use the same fabric or color for the 1 inch border for all 4 to coordinate.

I don't have EQ and I gave the last set to my mom for Christmas,
so
here are the elements and you'll have to sort of use your imagination

make the colors coordinate

kriscraft99 07-16-2011 05:08 AM

Janice - these are gorgeous!! wow!!

Originally Posted by jljack
Here is a pic of a table runner and placemats I made recently. The center of the placemats is 4" squares, 1-1/2" strips all around, then 1-1/2" strips top and bottom, 2-1/2" strips on sides to make it wider, then binding sewed on back, pulled to front and decorative stitch around the front.