Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-binding-t193031.html)

MommaDorian 06-30-2012 03:56 AM

I guess some have trouble using the binding foot. Here is a document I found with good instructions. I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Update: I can't figure out how to attach a PDF. Is there a way?

Latrinka 06-30-2012 04:03 AM

I do my binding by machine. Stitch to back, flip over and use deco stitch and matching top and bottom thread. Works for me, I'm just not that picky, and I ain't entering in no quilt show.

Dollyo 06-30-2012 04:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I use invisible thread I use it in the top and the bobbin. I stitch the binding to the front, and turn it to the back and stitch from the back, close to the edge w/invisible thread. I also have done binding, stitching to the back and bringing it to the front and use a decorative stitch to secure it. I have an embroidery machine w/lots of stitches. I pick a stitch that compliments the quilt. I typically use this for kids quilts. I've attached a picture of a quilt for my grandson that was an outerspace theme. I used a decorative star stitch to attach the binding. And I hand stitch the binding to the back on some quilts. It depends on the quilt and who it's for.
Dolly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]345609[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by newestnana (Post 5326304)
These are great hints! For those of you who use invisible thread, do you use it in the top AND the bobbin?

dcamarote 06-30-2012 04:39 AM

Unfortunately I do not have a picture as I just gave my grandson his quilt. I have done the binding by hand but I have also done it by machine. I don't prefer one over the other but if I have a large quilt or charity quilt, I use the machine. What I do is make my binding - 2.5 inches wide. Fold it in half. I start on the back of the quilt and use my 1/4 inch seam guide. So I go around the entire quilt until the back binding is finished. Then I iron the entire edge where I just put the binding - IRON IT FROM THE FRONT. Pulling the binding around to the front as I go. Then I find a decorative stitch - mine seems to be a zig zag - and I test it first to see how it will look. If it looks good, I am off and running. I would also recommend that you google Sharon Schamber who has a terrific tutorial you can watch over and over. It is called Binding the Angel. It is in 3 parts and has helped me greatly. Good luck.

Gabrielle's Mimi 06-30-2012 04:50 AM

I, too, do machine binding. IMHO the trick is to sew the binding onto the front, then PRESS it well, pushing the binding outward from the quilt, and using the point of the iron to push into those mitered corners. Once the pressing is done, I use those binding clips (aka hair clips) to hold the binding in place. I start in the middle of one side, and place clips down that side, around the corner and halfway down the adjacent side. I use my thumb and index fingers to get the correct 45 degree angle in the corner and put a clip on to hold it there. Then I stitch in the ditch on the front side. The reason I do only a portion of the quilt at a time is because the clips tend to fall off if you try to do the entire quilt. I started out with 2 1/2" binding as most books suggest. Once I became proficient with machine binding I cut the binding width down to 2 1/4" because I don't like the look of a wide "flap" on the edge of my binding. Here is my suggestion: make some placemats and practice on those. That way you won't feel you have ruined a quilt if your bindings aren't perfect at first. Good luck!

Gabrielle's Mimi 06-30-2012 04:58 AM

I have seen several posts about monofilament (invisible) thread. It is usually recommended that you use monofilament thread on the top only, NOT in the bobbin. That said, there are always exceptions to any rule, but normally it is not used top and bobbin. I use cotton, poly, or Bottom Line in my bobbin when sewing with monofilament. BTW, please do not use monofilament thread in quilts for babies or children. If they catch a finger or toe in a monofilament thread loop, it can have dire consequences. Project Linus will not accept baby quilts with monofilament thread.

IraJane 06-30-2012 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk (Post 5324084)
I sew the binding on the back first, then bring it to the front, make sure the edge is just over the seam when you turn it, then I use a decorative stitch and stitch on the stitch line from the back.

Knowing they will get hard use, this is the method I use on baby quilts, kids, and teen quilts.

needlefruit 06-30-2012 05:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, I machine bind most of the time. I use 2 1/4" bias strip, sew to the front, press with a 'wooden' iron, turn to the back, and machine stitch from the front (in the ditch). I pin in the top and bottom corner, stitch about 2"-3" at a time positioning as I go. With practice, you'll learn to feel when the back edge is just right. Here's a photo of a baby quilt with the corner folded to the front. Hope you can see what the binding really looks like on the back.

matraina 06-30-2012 05:22 AM

Maybe this will help: http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/bin...ewing-machine/
It seems I always look to the tutorials on Missouri Star Quilting Company for something.

bobquilt3 06-30-2012 05:57 AM

As always, MSQC has great tuts and this is a great list of these tutorials. Thanks.

Originally Posted by matraina (Post 5327896)
Maybe this will help: http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/bin...ewing-machine/
It seems I always look to the tutorials on Missouri Star Quilting Company for something.