Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Quilting Phobia! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-phobia-t159997.html)

ncredbird 10-13-2011 09:05 AM

Practice is what charity quilts are for. After you start feeling comfortable with your work you can progress to something that you want to keep. I am just starting long arm quilting and will be making drag around quilts for the grandchildren and charity quilts. I have no plans to do it for others so it doesn't matter to me how much time it takes to get better. Ann in TN

NanaBear 10-13-2011 09:39 AM

Such a great way to look at the charity subject...I've treated even those projects like they have to be "perfect".......my phobia also infiltrates my learning a new machine......I have a 5-year-NEW Elegante, basically unused, because my senior brain goes into spasms every time I sit down at it and try to figure out how to use it...I throw up my hands in panic and drag out my OLD OLD OLD standby, my 38-year-old ElnaSuper.......thx for the push.... :roll:

SueSew 10-13-2011 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I bought some stencils I plan to use. I am not good enough to do "freehand" FMQ but I think stencils might work. I have been using a walking foot to do a grid and have done some stippling.

Quilting is my hobby. If it comes out terribly, I had fun doing it and can toss it or use it on a soccer field.

I think it is easier to FMQ freehand than follow a line, especially when the line makes a curve away from you and behind the FMQ foot! Ugh

sharoney 10-13-2011 10:27 AM

Starting out with small projects is the best way to go. Table toppers, placemats, baby quilts. Also, use stencils at first. Mark your quilts and follow the lines. That's how I started. My first FMQ quilts are not that great- but the only way to get better and more confident is to DO IT!

indymta 10-13-2011 10:39 AM

Haven't gotten past straight line quilting..it looked so boring. Have sent out my quilts that are for gifts to a LAQ but you're correct in that's expensive. Signed up for the FMQ class on craftsy and hope to force myself to try FMQ and practice, practice.

babalu 10-13-2011 01:12 PM

I totally agree with you! I am scared to death of anything except SID, and I'm not very good at that. I tied my first 10 quilts! And I don't think I have the patience to practice FMQ...but that's going to be my first step. Maybe next summer!

bnndr 10-13-2011 01:12 PM

I am right there with you, scares me to death to even think about it, so I hand quilt all my quilts. My sister has mastered the machine quilting though, she cant hand quilt due to hand problems but can do the machine quilting.

NanaBear 10-13-2011 02:06 PM

I'm new to this site and feeling ignorant...I figured out LAQ but am stumped over FMQ and SID.....

Nanaquilts44 10-13-2011 02:36 PM

My machine doesn't do the job I want at least when I am driving it. Yes, it is scary.

quiltingnana59 10-13-2011 02:38 PM

I signed up for the FMQ class on Craftsy also and I am anxious to get started on it. I hope it helps me because I love the freedom of FMQing. I got a HQ SweetSixteen sit -down recently and I have been doing lots of practicing on small projects. Haven't tackled a big quilt yet but getting ready to try.