Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Quilting Phobia! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-phobia-t159997.html)

ube quilting 10-13-2011 02:47 PM

Do you have a LAM? Your thread implies that you do.
If yes, Load a 2yd. length of solid fabric or one with a pattern that has gentle curves that you can just follow randomly, batting and a solid backing. Put some music on that sways and just enjoy moving the machine over the fabric with no pattern in mind. You will slowly get more and more comfortable doing it and then start creating your own free form quilting. YOU MUST PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE if you really want to learn. Or enjoy your hand quilting and let it go! Post some of your work for all to enjoy! :-D

kiffie2413 10-13-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
Yes and so I end up handquilting mine!

:thumbup: I had to chuckle when I saw your reply...I so can relate to you!! I finally have just jumped in and started working on machine quilting some smaller projects...I also went to a short class at my favorite lqs which was strictly machine quilting..we made a fairly small quilt, with 4 different blocks, 3 of each, total of 13...the 4 included: 2 regular piecing, 1 paper piecing, and 1 applique to give variety there. We then learned different types of machine quilting, using the walking or even feed foot and also the darning or free motion foot...it made a big difference for me...So now I do machine and also hand quilting...
Good luck to you,
Kif

rosiewell 10-13-2011 03:13 PM

yes, and I simply like the feeling of a hand quilted quilt, it feels softer and more pliable and I do believe enhances the workmanship

ube quilting 10-13-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
I'm not scared. I just hate that it takes lots of practice and is not something you can just excell at in a few days

This sounds like me. :-) What I can't just sit down and do it and it looks like Sharon Schamber? LOL

HA HA HA. I like this!

fabric_fancy 10-13-2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by NanaBear
I'm new to this site and feeling ignorant...I figured out LAQ but am stumped over FMQ and SID.....

FMQ = free motion quilting
SID = stitch in ditch

NanaBear 10-13-2011 03:52 PM

:?

seasaw2mch 10-13-2011 06:32 PM

I agree, I spend lots of time making the tops and I'm so afraid of screwing them up that all I do is tie my quilts. I keep thinking that someday I might try but so far I'm a BIG CHICKEN!!!!

penski 10-13-2011 06:39 PM

i was scared at first but then realized that if i dont do it , it wasnt going to get the quilt finished so i tackled it and now i do all my own quilts

Pieceful Quilter 10-13-2011 07:46 PM

Oh yeah!!!!

Dee 10-13-2011 08:08 PM

I am getting the hang of it. But so afraid of ruining the top. I did ruin one and so now practice before going into the quilt top.