Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine stitching Binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-stitching-binding-t74817.html)

tuesy 11-07-2010 08:48 AM

I sew most of my bindings to the front and then handstitch them to the back. On a few I've done it the opposite way only because someone in this family wanted their quilt NOW! :lol:

I don't use a special foot, just my regular one and keep it at 1/4 inch. I puddle/pool all my quilt on my table so I'm not fighting the weight while I'm sewing.

akrogirl 11-07-2010 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by joeyoz
I prefer to hand stitch to the back just for that reason.

Yep, I tried the machine stitching approach on the baby quilt I have just finished, but only got a few inches into it before tearing it out and going back to hand stitching.

klgreene 11-07-2010 09:26 AM

I usually sew the binding to the front and hand stitch the back. But I have used the backing material and brought it around front to make the binding and machine sewn it. There is no different or separate fabric in the back, so as long as you sew a straight line, it doesn't need to match any different fabric. Does that make sense?

Sadiemae 11-07-2010 10:06 AM

I am going to try Sharon Schamber's glue method with curved binding on my next quilt to see how that works. I can't do any hand sewing since my carpal tunnel surgery a year ago, so I want to see how this works.

Conniequilts 11-07-2010 10:41 AM

I just did a extra big queen quilt last weekend. I pinned the daylights out of it. Like every 1.5 - 2 inches. I only have a few places that didn't catch. It turns out, after close looking, that the binding was shorter in those areas. I hand stitched them closed. It's a practice thing :)

featherweight 11-07-2010 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
I usually sew the binding to the front and hand stitch the back. But I have used the backing material and brought it around front to make the binding and machine sewn it. There is no different or separate fabric in the back, so as long as you sew a straight line, it doesn't need to match any different fabric. Does that make sense?

Yes, It makes perfect sense to me!!

featherweight 11-07-2010 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I am going to try Sharon Schamber's glue method with curved binding on my next quilt to see how that works. I can't do any hand sewing since my carpal tunnel surgery a year ago, so I want to see how this works.

Yes, I know about no more hand sewing. I had complete thumb joint repair in May. Just hurt it by doing 3 bindings on queen quilts and now I am back in the brace. I can't imagine if I would have done them by hand.

LindaM 11-07-2010 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae

I had been doing the stitching on the back by hand ... after trying Sharon's glue method, I can do that last lap on the sewing machine now too! The only hand sewing is closing the miters.

I do find that pressing the binding after you sew it on the front makes the seam much crisper and it's easier to turn it to the back.

Stitchnripper 11-07-2010 11:45 AM

I just did two bindings by machine. I used a long narrow zig zag. Also helps for me that border, binding and backing are all the same fabric and thread was a good match. But, they came out great and I only had to fix one corner. so much faster.

MadQuilter 11-07-2010 11:48 AM

I use decorative stitches on the front and if anyone complains (which they have not) then they would not get my quilt. That said, I use the machine method only on utility quilts - the really nice ones I do by hand in the back.