Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine stitching Binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-stitching-binding-t74817.html)

PamQuilts 11-07-2010 05:50 AM

Is there a trick to putting on binding by machine? I have a special foot for my machine. When you bring the binding to the front, all you're supposed to do is follow along your stitching line and it stitches close to the edge of the binding (on the front.) But, on the back, it doesn't stay consistent. The stitches will be slightly on the binding for a while then they will be on the quilt. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

memere9 11-07-2010 05:52 AM

Great question I am going to watch for help I have had the same problem.

bearisgray 11-07-2010 05:54 AM

Maybe the seam allowance isn't exactly the same all the way around when you sew it on the back?

Even a little bit of wobbling can make a difference.

erstan947 11-07-2010 06:07 AM

I use a decorative stitch and that helps.

greensleeves 11-07-2010 07:32 AM

It is almost impossible to have the front and back binding exactly equal. As mentioned earlier, a decorative stitch looks good on front and back even when it doesn't stay exactly on line in back.

featherweight 11-07-2010 07:36 AM

I try to use the thread closest to the backing fabric in the bobbin. You have to look real close to see if it did hit your mark. If they are looking that close to the back, then they are nosy. Its going on a bed anyway so why would it be a worry if it doesn't match perfect. There are no quilt police on the board!

deema 11-07-2010 07:43 AM

I'll tell you my secret...

I don't make my quilts to be reversible, nor are they for judging or sale...so I don't care what the binding looks like on the back, so long as it's attached and pretty on the front. *shhhhhh*

joeyoz 11-07-2010 07:44 AM

I prefer to hand stitch to the back just for that reason.

featherweight 11-07-2010 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by deema

I don't make my quilts to be reversible, nor are they for judging or sale...so I don't care what the binding looks like on the back, so long as it's attached and pretty on the front. *shhhhhh*

You and me both. I don't have time to worry about that. I have many more quilts to make!!! and may I say that they will all have machine binding on them!!!

deema 11-07-2010 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight

Originally Posted by deema

You and me both. I don't have time to worry about that. I have many more quilts to make!!! and may I say that they will all have machine binding on them!!!

Yep! :D If any of the above situations change, I'll think more about it...but I doubt that will happen. LOL