Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making the ugliest quilt ever! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-ugliest-quilt-ever-t174375.html)

kathyquilter34 01-05-2012 05:18 AM

Need to see a picture of an ugly quilt...I love them all

sewnbug 01-05-2012 05:20 AM

My grandma made some really ugly, but well used and loved quilts. With her in the beginning it was more about function than beauty.

alfosa421 01-05-2012 05:26 AM

WE WANT PICTURES WHEN IT"S DONE SO WE CAN PROVE YOU WORNG!!! There are no ugly quilts, just colorfully challenged!!! Good luck

gypsylady5 01-05-2012 07:38 AM

I have an ugly quilt that I love. Didn't make it - quilted it for a friend and she never picked up. All kinds of fabrics and all kinds of sizes of pieces, but it fits the sofa great and is warm. Maybe I should make another and get rid of my stash. I have boxes of 6-1/2" squares that I could make several quilts out of - both flannel and cotton.

zennia 01-05-2012 08:21 AM

I just finished up what I thought was the ugliest quilt ever. It is a bulls eye quilt. All the blocks came from a swap i was in so you know there was a little of everything. I washed and dried it and guess what--I really like it now. It just needed to soften up a little. I am sure you will like yours when its done.

sewready 01-05-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by deedum (Post 4840350)
Sometimes the ugliest quilt is the one that gets used the most. I know, I have "junk yard dog" quilt, a quilt I bought 20 some years ago, pea green and red and that is the pretty colors. Junk yard dog signs plastered without, but it is the warmest thing and so used over the years. For the last few years it has been missing til I found it in the trunk of my 30 yr old son's car, shocked I said there is where junk yard dog is. He stated, he loves that quilt and takes it everywhere", he and his family moved to Tx along with junk yard dog. It is the ugliest but warm and loved and now well used.

I agree. I have told this story before, but here it is again. I donate quilts to the Department of Social Services in our county. While gathering a load of donated quilts to be distributed to the children, I noticed a quilt which I thought was hideous, it was browns and purples. Well, while giving the children each a quilt, one little boy asked if he could have the "peanut butter and jelly" quilt! The satisfied look in his eyes when he wrapped that brown and purple quilt around himself told me he loved that quilt and thought it had been made especially for him!

needles3thread 01-05-2012 08:45 AM

Please take & picture for us to see.

RDM 01-05-2012 10:45 AM

Ugly to one can be wonderful to another. I bet you'll be surprised with your stash buster quilt. I look forward to seeing a photo of it when all done.

MadQuilter 01-05-2012 10:49 AM

If you bought ugly fabric then it may be an ugly quilt, but why would you buy ugly fabric? Doesn't make sense. I bet it will be charming and cozy warm.

Holice 01-05-2012 11:05 AM

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I participated in a jelly roll exchange and got some of the uglist strips you could imagine. The ugly part was they didn't coordinate with anything much less each other. So I sorted into groups of four with some coordination of color. I then did the 4 strip tube quilt. You know what? They all came out looking really good. Turned out to be a really attractive scrap tube quilt. So use it.....that's where creativity comes to play.