Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Martelli rotary Cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/martelli-rotary-cutter-t38154.html)

Prism99 03-01-2010 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
What is the advantage of having both a left and right hand cutter?

I noticed that the 45mm was on sale for $19.99 on the Martelli site - which is better - the 45mm or the 60mm?

Thanks - confused semi beginner quilter

The left-handed cutter is oriented to make cutting easy for a left-handed person.

Most quilters use the 45mm the most as it has the most applications. You can cut strips with it, it fits into the slots on a June Tailor quarter cut flexible cutting mat, and it works well for making accurate fine cuts on smaller fabric pieces.

I like the 60mm for adding a little brute strength if I have lots of strips to cut from fabric. It doesn't work as well as the 45mm for the other tasks above.

pflum1 03-02-2010 07:20 AM

You will love the Martelli Rotary cutter as it's easy on the wrist and I get better control on my cuts.

Has anyone used the Martelli binder system? Is it worth the money?

Dkm 03-02-2010 08:50 AM

This sound interesting. Keep us posted on how you like it.

Ragann63 03-02-2010 08:50 AM

It is awesome! I thought it was dumb the first time I tried my mom's, but then to help her out one night I spent the entire night (while she was sleeping) cutting out a 2000+ piece quilt for her. My wrist did not hurt or cramp at all. There is no way I could have done that with a straight rotary. I bought one immediately! Probably one of the best investments in my quilting I have made. There are lots of cute gimmicks - this one actually works!

Dkm 03-02-2010 08:52 AM

Will the ruler work on any mat. Not moving sounds to good to be true. Maybe it has something to do with using both mat and ruler.

quilter64779 03-02-2010 10:03 AM

Yes it will. I have arthritis inboth hands plus carpal tunnel in the left. Without this cutter I couldn't use the normal ones.

sew_lulu 03-02-2010 10:08 AM

I have it and love it. I do have many other but this seems to be the only one I grab.

littleone 03-02-2010 01:22 PM

OK, just watched the video, now I know how to use mine, I was holding it the wrong way. Made it difficult to cut. It has been hanging on my wall for 3 years, time to take the dust off and give it a second chance.

pflum1 03-02-2010 01:27 PM

Someone was asking if the 45 mm or 60 mm cutter was better. It depends on what you want to cut. I use the 45 mm most of the time as I find I can get about curves much better.
I just saw that they will be at the Dallas, TX quilt show next week.

Quiltmaniac 03-02-2010 01:41 PM

I purchased one from Connecting Threads a few years ago and loved it - while it worked! I'm very hard on blades (keep catching the ruler!) so when it got nicked and I tried to replace it, a spring popped out of the cutter and there was no way I could get it back in. I ended up throwing the whole thing away.

If I had known they had a website at the time they may have been able to help me with it.

I may just buy another one now I know!