Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Martelli rotary Cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/martelli-rotary-cutter-t38154.html)

mpspeedy 03-04-2010 05:24 AM

I bought one at a quilt show several years ago. My only problem is that the blades were supposed to stay sharp for what sounded like forever and yet the salesman tried to sell me a whole lot of extra ones. Mine currently usually leaves at least two threads not cut in every piece of fabric I cut. I guess their defination of forever is differnt than mine.
The design is good for my poor hands.

pflum1 03-04-2010 08:42 AM

What do you think of the martelli binding tool? Is it worth the money?

ProudGranny5 03-04-2010 12:34 PM

Hi...I don't have any Martelli cutters..BUT I have 4 Olfa cutters ranging in size from 18 to 60mm. I found them at JoAnn's & each purchase on line I used 50% off coupon. They are ergonamonic(sp). I absolutely love them as I have no feeling in ring or pinkie fingers on both hands. Easy curved handles and the blades close so much easier that the other Olfas. These are the way to go for me. Just my opinion.

Prism99 03-04-2010 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by pflum1
What do you think of the martelli binding tool? Is it worth the money?

I think the zip bind tool (it's just one piece that slides on over the binding) is worth getting. Reviews of it have been really good. There are Youtube demos of it you can watch.

I've heard their mitering clips are good too.

I bought the (expensive) clear plastic binding tool thingie that is supposed to feed the binding, etc. so you can attach binding all in one step. I highly recommend *not* getting this contraption! It's complicated, fiddly, and does not work well.

fireworkslover 03-05-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ProudGranny5
Hi...I don't have any Martelli cutters..BUT I have 4 Olfa cutters ranging in size from 18 to 60mm. I found them at JoAnn's & each purchase on line I used 50% off coupon. They are ergonamonic(sp). I absolutely love them as I have no feeling in ring or pinkie fingers on both hands. Easy curved handles and the blades close so much easier that the other Olfas. These are the way to go for me. Just my opinion.

I too use the ergonomic Olfa cutters, but when I'm paper piecing and trimming as I sew, I'm sitting down. After several hours of doing this, I've found my hand isn't happy. With the Martelli cutter, my hand stays happy.

scarlet14 03-06-2010 01:11 PM

re: Martelly rotary cutter____Sounded good so I looked up the site and ordered by phone on Thursday---it came Saturday---the lady that I talked to was great and very enthusisatic [sp]---she told me to call back if I had any problems with it--haven't had time to really try it but can hardly wait---can't hardly find people and places like that any more---would recommend it for service and attitude if nothing else

redpurselady 03-08-2010 01:20 PM

Just ordered mine on Overstock.com for $17.99. They only charge 2.95 shipping for the entire order so I got a package of blades as well. I have tendonitis in my right hand and it bothers me when I use the regular rotary cutter. Can't wait to get it.

Dkm 03-08-2010 02:30 PM

Thanks...I want to get one also. Very good price.

blahel 03-08-2010 02:51 PM

wow that looks so easy to use..wonder if we can get them in Australia!

redpurselady 03-11-2010 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Just ordered mine on Overstock.com for $17.99. They only charge 2.95 shipping for the entire order so I got a package of blades as well. I have tendonitis in my right hand and it bothers me when I use the regular rotary cutter. Can't wait to get it.

Just received mine in the mail from Overstock.com. I will be stripping tonight! :lol: