Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mathematically Challenged Right Now (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mathematically-challenged-right-now-t295758.html)

NZquilter 03-26-2018 05:10 AM

Mathematically Challenged Right Now

3 Attachment(s)
This is why I haven't made a pieced border yet--- the maths at the end!

So I have seen some pictures on Pinterest where some quilters used the leftover chevron units from the last Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt in the border. I thought, "How neat! I could do that too!"

The length side borders went on smoothly, with 50 chevron units per side. My problem came with the width side borders, with 41 chevron units per side. (For those who did the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt, I ended up doing a 3/4 size to the pattern, so that's probably half my problem right there...)

Two corners match up perfectly.[ATTACH=CONFIG]591726[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591727[/ATTACH]

The second two corners look like this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591728[/ATTACH]

Any suggestions on how to make this pickle work will be so appreciated!!!

Homespun 03-26-2018 05:15 AM

I would unsew the offending side a short distance...pin, easing in the excess so the border ends where you want.

cenpaqltr 03-26-2018 05:42 AM

I would give a corner stone a try... when all fails... that usually works.

bkay 03-26-2018 06:29 AM

I'm not a great quilter, so take my idea with a grain of salt. What I would do is take the longer side off for a few inches (however many you think you need). I would increase the size of the seam between the chevrons slightly. If you spread it out between several pieces, it won't be noticeable. You're probably talking about 1/2 inch or less. If you spread that between just four units, it's 1/8 inch per seam. If you spread it between 8 chevrons, it's just 1/16th of an inch.

Just measure it and see how much you need to take it in.

bkay

DJ 03-26-2018 07:28 AM

I'd just put in cornerstones. No one would ever question it. It's really beautiful!

ILoveToQuilt 03-26-2018 07:31 AM

I don't know if you are talking about the "fullness" or the fact that the bottom photo chevron goes in the opposite direction. The sides you like, the chevron points match, on the side you don't one points down, the other up. If it is a direction thing, there really isn't anything you can do about it because of the odd number (41). Hope this is clear. I'd just use cornerstones and call it a day.

PaperPrincess 03-26-2018 07:47 AM

The issue is that you have an even number of chevrons on one side meeting up with an odd number on the other. The chevrons are not going to meet up the same. As mentioned above, you can add cornerstones. Another option would be to interrupt the side with the 41 patches. have 20 chevron patches, one plain peach colored patch, then 20 more chevrons. This way, you take the odd chevron off on the end. I've done a couple of BH pieced borders and have found that she often puts an odd block in the middle to make the pattern come out in the corners.

Krisb 03-26-2018 08:36 AM

Yep, the single 2” rectangle in the middle of the 41 block side would be simplest way to solve the issue. It just won’t work to try to get those to meet otherwise.

Did you have a plan for the corners?

NZquilter 03-26-2018 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 8028873)
Another option would be to interrupt the side with the 41 patches. have 20 chevron patches, one plain peach colored patch, then 20 more chevrons. This way, you take the odd chevron off on the end. I've done a couple of BH pieced borders and have found that she often puts an odd block in the middle to make the pattern come out in the corners.

I like that idea, thanks! I might try that.

NZquilter 03-26-2018 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 8028906)
Did you have a plan for the corners?

Yes, my plan is to have a 4.5" neutral square with a snowballed pink triangle tying the borders together , if that makes sense?

Thanks for all your help!