Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mini Iron II from Jo-Ann (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mini-iron-ii-jo-ann-t189291.html)

BKrenning 05-18-2012 08:22 AM

I love mine (the original) for pressing after ever seam while paper piecing and fusing little pieces on applique. I keep it in a coffee mug--the stand is worthless--and it goes with me on vacation. I also have the little Rowenta travel iron that I use for pressing units & blocks but it doesn't get hot anymore so I'm looking for a replacement. I saw the post about one catching fire but mine is catching a cold--LOL. And Joann's usually doesn't allow the coupons on the travel & larger size irons so I have to watch for a good sale or try & find one used.

ljptexas 05-18-2012 09:01 AM

I have the tini, tiny iron but found it doesn't get as hot as reg iron to press open seams & iron out final. Wish I could find something in between.

jcrow 05-18-2012 10:24 AM

I have two different type mini irons. One is like yours. I never use them. They just were a hassle. Don't iron without a lot of weight behind them. So they are collecting dust. But it might be good if you travel.

sewingsuz 05-18-2012 10:32 AM

I HAVE THE LATEST JO-ANN ADD AND IT RUNS FROM MAY20TH THRU JUNE 9TH. Sorry for Cap's, anyway I do not have a scratch off on mine in Arizona. What is with this?

Krisb 05-18-2012 11:13 AM

If you do appliqué and paper piecing, they are wonderful.

Peckish 05-18-2012 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by BKrenning (Post 5225832)
Joann's usually doesn't allow the coupons on the travel & larger size irons

Actually, the Dritz Petite Press iron I was talking about hangs on their notions wall, and is included in the sale when they have 50% off all notions. I don't know if this is an oversight or if they don't consider this an iron, but whatever! I bought it half off! :)

RkayD 05-18-2012 11:41 AM

I have it. Don't remember what I paid but $60 seems awfully expensive. I use them every now & then but they aren't the end all..no weight and cumbersome. I do use them when I'm sitting at the machine paper piecing but not for much more. I'd really like to check into the sealing irons. They are like a mini iron with a big wooden handle ..seems to have more substance to them..I just worry about investing in another useless gadget.

patricej 05-18-2012 12:17 PM

I have that iron. I like it but don't use it often. I'm quite the couch potato, so the trek to the ironing board is about as close as i get to exercise on most days. LOL

It comes in very handy when i want to press a finished quilt for presentation. the small flat head can get into tiny corners better than any regular iron i've every tried. That model does get hot enough for the job.

The advice about using something other than the little stand that comes with it is spot on, by the way. I lay mine on an old cutting board, but a ceramic tile is also an excellent suggestion. :thumbup:

snipforfun 05-18-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5224829)
I found it good for very small pieces but for larger squares I prefer the size of a travel iron. I have a Rowenta but am looking to replace it in light of the discussion on them catching fire while you are pressing with them. The one thing I like about it is the front does come to a smaller point.

In light of recent discussion about the possessed evil Rowenta travel iron, I returned mine today! It was a replacement for my first one that blew up. Sparks flew and blew out the circut!

burchquilts 05-18-2012 03:31 PM

I have the original version, too, but I never got to use it... DH "borrowed" it & I haven't since it since... LOL! Evidently it works just fine for him... LOL! I don't care... he's so good about my quilting that I can hardly begrudge him a mini iron (that I think he bought me in the first place!).