Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Miniatures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/miniatures-t133327.html)

kwiltnutt 06-26-2011 01:16 PM

How many of you like making miniatures? I have made so many bed quilts and large wall hangings, I am running out of room. I once did a 12 inch block with 375 pieces and won a challenge; I quite enjoyed it. If you like miniatures what are some of your fave sites? TIA!

TonnieLoree 06-26-2011 01:21 PM

I've admired many, but have never made one. My eyes are not that large to make a mini! I seem to have fumble fingers just working on a full sized pattern! Could you post some pictures please?

thepolyparrot 06-26-2011 01:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I like making miniatures - I finally finished piecing a checkerboard top last night - trying to get all the seams to match just about made me crazy. I'm going to use black and red buttons as the checkers and embroider and applique the 3½" parchment border around the checkerboard part.

Here are some miniature flying geese quilts I made for a doll - the first one was too big for the doll, so I re-made it. The strips of flying geese are paper-pieced and I would definitely stick with paper piecing for patches this small. The finished geese are about 3/4" x 1½"

Flying geese mini's in 30's prints - this is after laundering, so it's nice and puffy-looking. :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217110[/ATTACH]

The smaller one had too much quilting in it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217111[/ATTACH]

The larger one drapes better, but it was fun to quilt this small one, anyway. :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217112[/ATTACH]

jljack 06-26-2011 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished this miniature for a swap. She hasn't seen it yet, so don't tell I posted it here!! :-) I have made 15 miniatures for the doll quilt swaps on here. They are so fun to do, and I usually try some new technique on the miniatures to see if I like doing it or not.

Jennifer22206 06-26-2011 01:52 PM

I do! Love my minis.

Heid 06-26-2011 01:53 PM

I like making miniatures. I'd be interested in seeing your 12" block with 375 pieces, and congratulations on winning the challenge. That probably gets you inspired. Most of my miniatures are made from paper piecing patterns - some from books and some from old software i have from Sew Precise.

Originally Posted by kwiltnutt
How many of you like making miniatures? I have made so many bed quilts and large wall hangings, I am running out of room. I once did a 12 inch block with 375 pieces and won a challenge; I quite enjoyed it. If you like miniatures what are some of your fave sites? TIA!

KimS 06-26-2011 01:55 PM

Think I may have just found my new project. How fun!! :thumbup:

Jates 06-26-2011 01:57 PM

quote=kwiltnutt " I once did a 12 inch block with 375 pieces"
Holy Cow! I would love to see a picture of that! I bet it's awesome. I love to admire all of the minis on here......love the flying geese posted above. 3/4" X 1.5" I can't imagine working with something so small! I want to try one some day!

Jennifer22206 06-26-2011 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm working on a GFG with 3/8" hexagons.

Here you go for a size comparison. It's all hand pieced and will be hand quilted.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217116[/ATTACH]

Jates 06-26-2011 01:59 PM

JLJack, your swap mini is beautiful too! I think it'd be hard to give away!