Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moda prices going up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moda-prices-going-up-t88496.html)

BellaBoo 01-07-2011 07:24 PM

Order order order now, think of the money you will have saved by next year.

charmpacksplus 01-07-2011 07:26 PM

Maybe we should have been buying cotton commodities instead of adding to our cotton stashes :roll:

beautress 01-07-2011 07:43 PM

Well, maybe having a stash to fall back on in slim times is not so harsh. I think I will tell DH about this. :)

Favorite Fabrics 01-07-2011 07:56 PM

Look at it this way. If prices go up 10% in 2011... and you've invested in fabric, it's like getting a 10% return on your money. Where else are you gonna get that kind of return? AND, you can have your investment right there in the room with you, and you can pet it, and it won't go bad, and even if thieves break into your house they probably won't be interested in taking it.

So... does this fit the definition of a low-risk, high-yield investment? :lol:

Charlee 01-07-2011 08:00 PM

I was about to get all political...but don't want to get spanked by the mods and admin, so will hold my tongue in that arena...
May have to find another hobby/craft...this one is already stretching my budget!

PJisChaos 01-07-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Look at it this way. If prices go up 10% in 2011... and you've invested in fabric, it's like getting a 10% return on your money. Where else are you gonna get that kind of return? AND, you can have your investment right there in the room with you, and you can pet it, and it won't go bad, and even if thieves break into your house they probably won't be interested in taking it.

So... does this fit the definition of a low-risk, high-yield investment? :lol:

LoL!! I absolutely love your take on things, thanks for the giggles!

Passionate 01-08-2011 02:40 AM

It's interesting to read the comments about $12 being a little high to pay.

When I buy retail I pay from $24 upwards a metre. Yes I'm Australian and this explains it all.

So $12 (US) is still a good buy for me and I'm happy certainly while the exchange rate is sooo good for us at the moment.

Susan Creer

auntmarie 01-08-2011 03:51 AM

I just read that because of the cotton shortage , american farmers are now planting much more cotton!!!!!!!!!!
Should help for the future.

Midwestmary 01-08-2011 04:01 AM

I feel for the local quilts shops everywhere....most of us just cannot afford those prices - just sad to see small business not being able to make it in this economy.

DebsShelties 01-08-2011 04:04 AM

I am wondering if the new plastic bag tax goes thru with the new congress (20 cents PER bag) if fabric stores will be charging for that also.
Seems one guy tried to get the plastic bags outlawed, didn't work so now he wants to impose another tax on the people.
They said on the news that it is mainly aimed at grocery stores, but I have a feeling it would be any retail operation that uses plastic bags.
We the people are getting taxed to death and beyond.