Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moving to another state with my stash and supplies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moving-another-state-my-stash-supplies-t71135.html)

sahm4605 10-19-2010 04:52 PM

after moving every couple of years in my childhood, I would really suggest using some of your stash as filler in boxes. this will help save money. and get those totes that you can see through. And make sure that they are the last thing on the truck with your machine and cleaning supplies And kitchen pans plates and glasses and silverware. Also Make sure that you label all your boxes with the items in the boxes and what room they are to go into in BIG letters. If you don't want to take your stash, I know a ton of women on here who would be willing to take it off of your hands for shipping costs. hehe. Me being one of them. hehe just had to add that in.

littlehud 10-19-2010 04:55 PM

I love the idea of using your stash to wrap breakables. Great idea.

pjustice63 10-19-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I used my stash as packing materials for the breakables...fat quarters between plates and bowls, larger pieces around serving dishes, glassware, decorative items, etc....just make sure that the items are clean. This way when you unwrap you can fold each piece of fabric in the way you want it and organize your stash in the new place as you unpack other rooms. I've moved several times and this has worked for me.

Smart girl.
One of my best tips is...use large garbage cans with wheels and lids to pack fabric in. Doesn't get dirty, you know exactly where it is and you roll it wherever you need it.

RDM 10-19-2010 05:07 PM

I used large see-through plastic bins the hardware stores sell to pack stash during a major remodel. The uniform size stacked well plus held a lot. I labeled each one & this clued me in on what to unpack first. Hope all goes well with your move. Good news is no matter where you go, the quilting board will be there too.

Ramona Byrd 10-19-2010 05:12 PM

From a long ago military wife..and brothers and son, whatever you do, do NOT EVER pack up jewelry or anything extremely valuable to you. Carry it with you in inside pockets or a back pack.

One brother lost a lot of his wife's jewelry, a lot of it antique diamonds, my son lost a lot of his stuff including his water bed and his Boy Scout Eagle badges and other things in that trunk, but would up with an unexpected sofa bed that is real pretty.

Movers all over the country have had bad press, last one I heard bad things of was called something like hungry students?

It's just too bad, but nowadays you can't seem to trust anyone at all. One suggestion that I make for all my family and friends, is to stand outside the house and take very close videos of each of the movers and of all the furniture, especially expensive pieces as they are taken into the van or trucks. Then be there to take more pictures as they are being unloaded, since I've heard some of them are reloaded onto other trucks during their trip. Don't understand why but I'm told it happens.

debsews2002 10-19-2010 05:38 PM

Thanks everybody, those are wonderful ideas. Keep um coming :) Deb in NC

Annaleehunter 10-19-2010 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I used my stash as packing materials for the breakables...fat quarters between plates and bowls, larger pieces around serving dishes, glassware, decorative items, etc....just make sure that the items are clean. This way when you unwrap you can fold each piece of fabric in the way you want it and organize your stash in the new place as you unpack other rooms. I've moved several times and this has worked for me.

What a great idea. I wish I had thought of that when I moved 4 months ago.... I still can't find all my material and books. If I unpacked material with dishes I would have had to put it away immediately!

mudsprite 10-19-2010 07:13 PM

Ramona - Sounds like a good idea to make a video record to prove what you have going in and coming out the other end.

AnnieF 10-19-2010 07:14 PM

You also have to think that this would be a good time to unload the stuff that you'll never use again.....you know what I'm talking about....ugly fabric....stuff that isn't 100% cotton if that's what you quilt with now....those notions that seemed like good ideas at the time you bought them. I used to sew clothing and when I started quilting the stash moved on top of the other fabric. It was good to cull some of the deadbeat fabric out so the rest could shine.

Dee 10-19-2010 08:24 PM

Its a chore. We moved from Arizona to Pa. 2 years ago. I used stash to wrap items needed to have some cushion. Hope all works out for you.