Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moving to another state with my stash and supplies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moving-another-state-my-stash-supplies-t71135.html)

Chigger Holler Quilter 10-19-2010 10:12 PM

Whatever you do; take your stash! I disposed of years and years of other things, but hauled almost all of my stash from WA state to Missouri! I don't regret it one little bit. The move was a big one for me and it is so nice to have my sewing supplies and fabs here to keep me occupied! The best of luck to you!

quilterella 10-19-2010 11:18 PM

When I got married last year and moved into my husband's house, I swear that the packing boxes with all my "quilt" stuff, and the roll of batting, tables and sewing machines, took up half the moving van.I had it packed in boxes, bags and totes, and still had bolts wrapped in plastic. The guys on the truck laughed, and asked my DH if he knew what he was getting into.

angieh1964 10-20-2010 01:24 AM

wow you guys are all so smart! we are moving in june from ohio to washington state and i was wondering how to reduce weight on the moving charges using my fab for packing is an awesome idea since it all sits in the kitchen anyways. i love you guys.

Kitsapquilter 10-20-2010 03:37 AM

When we moved from Alaska to WA state I tried to pack alot of my stash in big plastic tubs. I taped them shut too since sometimes those lids can loosen and open. I do wish I had color sorted better when I packed. Now I still haven't done that! Right now I have a disaster in my sewing room. I could spend 2 weeks in it sorting and re-organizing fabrics!

mygirl66 10-20-2010 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by momymom
I moved from TN to NC 4 years ago. In order to keep most of my stash, I used it to wrap breakables. Place fq's between dishes, wrap glasses with them, then stuff yardage around them so nothing moves and breaks. Fill in around your lamps with yardage, any where you have some space. Wrap pictures and mirrors in yardage. Stuff empty drawers with fabric. It not only saves your stash, you save money on packing supplies.

Thats what I did when I moved 6 mos. ago! Then when you unpack, you can look at all the fabric you may of forgot about!

bearisgray 10-20-2010 03:47 AM

I'm not so sure about minimizing any weight using fabric to pack with - it does get heavy - but the whole load will take up less volume if one uses it for "packing material"

As far as wrinkling goes - I always iron/press my fabric immediately before cutting it anyway - and if placed/wrapped smoothly around the items, it shouldn't rumple too badly.

I've never moved so I don't know the answer - are the moving charges by weight and distance - or by weight, volume, and distance?

SueDor 10-20-2010 03:53 AM

Great above idea! Thankfully I have never had to move.

damaquilts 10-20-2010 04:22 AM

I am in the process of moving now. I used blankets to pack some breakables I have My good machine is going in the car with me along with some other special stuff. I am glad I don't have to pack dishes and things . Got rid of all those when I moved in with my daughter. My fabric was all in baskets so they were just unloaded into totes to move. All my little things are in rolling drawers they are staying and just being taped shut. But then I am not being moved by a moving company. Friends are combining moving me with their truck and a rented trailer with a vacation when they get to VA. Still trying to figure out how to pack my cutting boards and my design wall and my peg boards.

Kaye-Kaye 10-20-2010 04:27 AM

These are some great ideas.

Honey 10-20-2010 04:48 AM

We've been in this house for almost 30 years, so I can't even imagine packing everything up to move. If we did move, I know a lot of "stuff" would have to go. Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing!